• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Wanted: DTK Turbo XT clone PC case

Update: got one, so no longer looking. Thanks to everyone for considering.
  2. J

Floating Point to string/ASCII conversion

Some years ago I wrote up that grisu3 algorithm that Florian Loitsch described (that was linked in a research paper above). You can find somewhat compact C code here: https://github.com/juj/MathGeoLib/blob/master/src/Math/grisu3.c https://github.com/juj/MathGeoLib/blob/master/src/Math/grisu3.h...
  3. J

Northern Europe WTB: IBM PS/2 Display Adapter (VGA) 75X9017XM

Thanks for confirming, that is super helpful to know.
  4. J

Northern Europe WTB: IBM PS/2 Display Adapter (VGA) 75X9017XM

Hi all, I have been doing research on various features of VGA, and I've gotten to the point where I would benefit from having the actual original card as the ground truth for what the IBM VGA adapter behaves like. So, I'd like to source this card if someone might have one and be willing to...
  5. J

EGA PEL panning & scanlines

I don't think there is such thing as correct implementation of DS and HS latching. Or maybe correct = identical to original IBM EGA, but correct != compatible, since many manufacturers implemented latching behavior differently. (IBM implementation was one of the worse ones, so can't say that...
  6. J

Looking for testers with original IBM EGA/VGA/MCGA/8514/XGA graphics cards

Thank you, this was super helpful! So it seems that the Light Pen Address Counter registers on an IBM EGA card did not work as free-running like they apparently are doing on an IBM VGA card, and as result, there is no entropy source to draw from in this case. Not completely sure yet what then...
  7. J

Looking for testers with original IBM EGA/VGA/MCGA/8514/XGA graphics cards

Some days ago, I stumbled onto an interesting feature that a technical manual from Headland mentions they have been emulating from original IBM EGA/VGA cards - Light Pen Address Counter registers. VGA officially dropped support for Light Pens, but curiously, Headland's technical manual claimed...
  8. J

MS-DOS 16-bit: can malloc() and _fmalloc() be mixed?

Hey btw, I hope I don't derail the thread too much, but if you are doing far memory allocations in Watcom, it would be interesting if you can find an answer to the question of how to allocate a given amount of far memory that is guaranteed to not straddle a 64KB alignment mark? This kind of...
  9. J

MS-DOS 16-bit: can malloc() and _fmalloc() be mixed?

I am doing a fair bit of Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 programming at the moment. There, Borland's malloc() and farmalloc() allocations can freely be mixed, although that would definitely be a property of the compiler runtime and not of DOS, so not sure if my observation with Borland helps anything with...
  10. J

Programming > 80x25 text modes in DOS with Borland Turbo C++ 3.0

Thanks, yeah, I am going down the route of rolling out my own printf, and that works out just fine. Plus now I can add printf formatting strings for color inline in the format string :D
  11. J

Programming > 80x25 text modes in DOS with Borland Turbo C++ 3.0

Hi all, I am looking to change the usual DOS 80x25 console text mode into something like 132x44 or 132x60 so that I can use more real estate in console-like programs that print a lot of text out to stdout. The SVGA/VESA aspect of switching to these modes is well covered, and I can set up the...
  12. J

World first(?) all digital VGA video 486 PC

Not sure what you compare to by "same" here, though yeah, if an EGA card did 800x600, then that would allow a nice passthrough conversion to DVI-D, or e.g. 2x integer upscaling to 1600x1200. One drawback with EGA and CGA outputs is that they do not provide a pixel clock signal on the wire, so...
  13. J

Do you maybe mean "when scaling is not integer"? (i.e. an integer multiple of the input resolution?) I find that linear (as in bilinear) scaling from very small resolutions up to large resolutions (320x200 -> 1600x1200) is too soft to look good. Point sampling from small resolution up to a large...
  14. J

Yeah, the current card prototypes contain some manual patches and hot glue and parts of the card unconnected, so we don't just yet have a picturesque image to present that wouldn't have caused confusion. The design is based on an FPGA. This way we have a flexible control to provide different...
  15. J

My apologies. I would be happy to edit the title, but there does not seem to exist an edit button. EDIT: looks like edit support is timed, or edits don't apply to first post, or similar? Well, whatever..
  16. J

Yeah, great point. I guess that would then be "world first all-digital ISA VGA PC", or maybe "world first all-digital IBM XT/286/386 PC" might have sounded more impressive. :) PCI cards with DVI-D outputs surely did exist, so 486s could get on DVI-D natively.
  17. J

Thanks, and sorry to raise an analog vs digital orthodoxy fight. There is nothing bad with CRTs for sure! This card can be useful for example for people who have had their CRTs break and cannot source a new one on eBay, or for people who have been using an analog->digital converter before, and...
  18. J

Hi all, I'd like to showcase something I find super cool :) Meet my 80 MHz Cyrix 486 PC, the first PC I personally owned, purchased in 1996. It has a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422 VGA graphics card, and with the help of an add-on card, it outputs an all-digital video from the VGA card to my ASUS...
  19. J

VGA 320x200 60Hz

To slow down from 70hz to 60hz without letterboxes, one would have to "sink" time for the duration of those extra 10 frames somewhere. This could theoretically be done in one of three ways: 1. slow down the pixel clock from 12.6 MHz to 10.7 MHz. Unfortunately this would be a soldering job to...
  20. J

VGA 320x200 60Hz

You are absolutely right, that is a great point. I've worked so long now on LCD displays with VGA inputs that didn't even think about this part. Now that I read the original post closer, it did mention wanting to avoid black bars. I was thinking about the 320x240 vs 320x200 distinction being...
Back