• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Northern Europe WTB: IBM PS/2 Display Adapter (VGA) 75X9017XM

Hi all, I have been doing research on various features of VGA, and I've gotten to the point where I would benefit from having the actual original card as the ground truth for what the IBM VGA adapter behaves like. So, I'd like to source this card if someone might have one and be willing to...
  2. J

Looking for testers with original IBM EGA/VGA/MCGA/8514/XGA graphics cards

Some days ago, I stumbled onto an interesting feature that a technical manual from Headland mentions they have been emulating from original IBM EGA/VGA cards - Light Pen Address Counter registers. VGA officially dropped support for Light Pens, but curiously, Headland's technical manual claimed...
  3. J

Programming > 80x25 text modes in DOS with Borland Turbo C++ 3.0

Hi all, I am looking to change the usual DOS 80x25 console text mode into something like 132x44 or 132x60 so that I can use more real estate in console-like programs that print a lot of text out to stdout. The SVGA/VESA aspect of switching to these modes is well covered, and I can set up the...
  4. J

World first(?) all digital VGA video 486 PC

Hi all, I'd like to showcase something I find super cool :) Meet my 80 MHz Cyrix 486 PC, the first PC I personally owned, purchased in 1996. It has a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422 VGA graphics card, and with the help of an add-on card, it outputs an all-digital video from the VGA card to my ASUS...
  5. J

Programming XMS memory usage from MS-DOS 6.22 with Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 (real mode)

Hi all, I am participating to Advent of Code ( https://adventofcode.com/ ) this year on a MS-DOS 386SX 16 MHz/2MB RAM/Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 setup as a computing theme. I've got through all the puzzles (1-18) so far on the machine, although in one of the puzzles I find that I would like to...
  6. J

How does a MDA/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA display know the pixel aspect ratio to output in each video mode?

Hi all, I have been looking into the VGA and other display standard outputs recently. If I understand correctly, VGA is able to output essentially two vertically different display modes, 400 lines and 480 lines. How does a monitor know the pixel aspect ratio it should output on the display in...
  7. J

Wanted: DTK Turbo XT clone PC case

Hey all, this might be quite a long shot, but I guess it won't hurt to try. I am trying to find somewhere to buy this exact model of a turbo XT clone PC case, apparently manufactured by Datatech (DTK): hopefully in good condition. A 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter would be a plus and PSU with a...
Back