• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. bzotto

California Amiga A1050 "Knockoff" 256K RAM expansion kit : $40

I do not have an Amiga 1000. Yet a few years back, through an unexpected combination of peak-COVID zeal then changed plans, I ended up with four of the A1050 Knockoff PCBs and parts to build them out. The design is a straight recreation of the A1050, the 256K RAM expansion for the (first) Amiga...
  2. bzotto

What were the "bare" CRTs pictured in so many early microcomputing photos?

I frequently come across historic images of early microcomputer setups (Altair, Apple 1, etc etc) that indicate these systems were sometimes (often?) connected to what appear to be open-frame CRT displays sitting on desks. Can anyone shed light or offer links clarifying the nature of these...
  3. bzotto

History of Computer Typography talk - online, free, Feb. 14th

If you're interested in fonts, bitmaps, vectors, CRTs, and how they all work together: I'll be doing a talk through San Francisco's Letterform Archive organization next month on the history of computer typography. Should be a fun run-through, plus bringing vintage computer content to the design...
  4. bzotto

Found software for the TENET 210 (!)

While recovering data from a small collection of 1970s paper punch tape, I discovered a long tape that appears to contain source for a 1976 port of Motorola's 6800 cross assembler in TENET BASIC. This was unexpected and also unusually interesting-- TENET BASIC was a highly extended version of...
  5. bzotto

Wozpak vs Wozpak ][ ?

A.P.P.L.E. in WA published the "WOZPAK" book and then "WOZPAK ][". What is the relationship between the content of these? Is the latter a revision/update, an expansion, or a "volume 2" with entirely different material? I don't find scans of these online-- A.P.P.L.E. is still a going concern and...
  6. bzotto

Okidata 110 printer info?

I frequently run across references to the early "Okidata 110" line printer in mid/late 1970s material I'm looking at. Appears to have been an early, rather popular consumer dot matrix printer (110cps, 80-columns) often paired with early micros. Image from a 1977 advertisement below. Given how...
  7. bzotto

California WTB: iCOM FD360 8" drives (or iCOM/Pertec 3712/3812)

Ideally after an FD360 dual 8" unit. It was superseded/rebadged as the 3712 (or double density 3812) but they have equivalent functionality, so open to those too. Please get in touch if you are looking to part with one of these--or could be persuaded to. Thanks.
  8. bzotto

California For Sale: Victor 9000 (refurbed & working + extras)

Hi all, I have a Victor 9000 that I've restored to working state but is now taking up space and I'd like to get it to a good home. CPU unit with dual 5.25" drives, both cleaned and lubed. Victor CRT, caps checked out OK, rigged strain relief on the connection cable. Keyboard completely refoamed...
  9. bzotto

Which minicomputer architectures used "skips" to branch and had no stack?

For research and comparison purposes, I'm trying to compile a list of machines whose architectures supported/used the following control flow patterns: Branching done with "skip" style instructions, i.e. upon various compares, the program counter will skip the following instruction (typically a...
  10. bzotto

California PiDP-8 new/unbuilt : $200 shipped (US)

I bought a PiDP-8 kit and despite them being incredibly cool I've realized I just won't ever have time for it in the backlog of projects. My rash purchase is your gain-- I haven't even opened the box it arrived in, I'll reship it to any US address for $200, less than it costs to buy same thing...
  11. bzotto

Why did 1970s kits come with color blue/red circuit diagrams?

Early micro kits came with (typically) beefy instruction binders, full schematics, and board layout diagrams. Sometimes, red/blue PCB diagrams would be included with the instructions. Attached is one such example apparently from OSI; SWTPC did this too I think in some cases. I know that such...
  12. bzotto

SWTPC Co-Res and 8K BASIC v2.3 tape data available

A while back I came by a couple original cassette tapes from SWTPC including the Co-Resident Editor/Assembler and the 2.3 version of 8K BASIC. I archived the data and you can find them both in folders on @deramp5113 's software site here. These program versions seem to have been not easily found...
  13. bzotto

FYI: SWTPC "X-record" binary load format parser tool

Hi all: I've recently been recovering some data off of SWTPC-published data cassettes, which sometimes had an "ASCII" side and a "binary" side. The ASCII side was a file in S-record format (the native MIKBUG load format), but the "binary" side had a stub loader and then a much more compact...
  14. bzotto

Midwest Scientific (MSI) FD-8 8" Floppy disk documentation?

Hi, I have come by one of these drives, and although I've seen plenty of advertisements for them in scans etc, I've come up short on documentation for interfacing/using it. The mechanism is from GSI (which doesn't seem to have been especially prolific either?). Looks like as below. Didn't spot...
  15. bzotto

Can anyone identify "ESP Inc." ?

From the mid- or late-1970s. This is a tiny logo screened onto a board by a (different) known vendor. I assume this is the insignia of a PCB production house, but have not been able to find any reference to this name anywhere. Anyone got any leads? Thanks!
  16. bzotto

Level I ROM dump or disassembly?

Hi folks-- Can anyone direct me to a good ROM dump (either raw, or disassembled, or etc) of the original TRS-80 ROM from its launch? I assume this would be the level I 4k ROM but I'm not a TRS-80 guy so open to corrections here. This page suggests that it's a mixed disassembly that includes that...
  17. bzotto

California 1702A EPROM programming/dumping by mail service - EPROM Hut

Hey folks-- through some of my own projects, I've ended up with equipment that can dump and program the elusive 1702/1702A EPROMs as well as 2704/2708/2716 etc. I know this need comes up occasionally in the 1970s computing stuff, and not everyone wants to DIY or scavenge a programmer. Since I...
Back