• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

What kind of connector is this? Looks similar to S-Video

https://www.tascamninja.com/cdn/shop/products/l346.jpg Here's the pinout: https://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fostex_r8/dr_zee_workshop_fostex_r8_project_control_wiring.jpg Never seen this type of connector anywhere. Also, this is for an old tape deck synchronizer, so this might technically...
  2. S

'Updating ESCD...' hanging *facepalm*

Every time I turn around there's something else going wrong with a system of mine. I took out a sound card from a W95 system and popped it into another. I booted the W95 system without the sound card and it said "Updating ESCD..." and that's where it hangs. I read that that has something to do...
  3. S

Shutdown issue in Windows 95 (AT mobo Power settings?)

It's been about 25 years since I've used '95. I can't get it to shut down properly. It goes to the screen saying wait while your computer is shutting down and as far as I remember there's supposed to be another screen afterward that says it's safe to turn off your computer. Mine has the former...
  4. S

Texas WTB: IBM Model M keyboard

I'm located in the USA. I'd like to get my hands on a good condition, perfectly working IBM Model M keyboard with the cable. No stuck keys or missing caps. If you have one please let me know!
  5. S

Floppy drive extension cables?

I have a 3.5" and 5.25" drive. I remember having to fool with the configuration to get my 3.5" drive to show up as A: and my 5.25" to show up as B:. I forgot exactly what I did but now it's just how I want it. With one exception: My caddy CDROM sits above my 5.25" drive and I'd like it to sit...
  6. S

Duplex printing in DOS

I've got a couple older laser printers that I use for network printing. They work fine, and thankfully there's a parallel port on them too so I'll use my extra one to print from my DOS machine. i haven't printed something in DOS since about 1995 so I'm a little rusty. Would I need some sort of...
  7. S

CDR brands that work with early CDROMs

I have a Sony CDU535-01 that I recently recapped. It works great. It can't read the CDRs I've put into it, but I've been informed that it can indeed read CDRs, it's just picky about which brand/type it can read. I've been a Verbatim fan since the late 90s or so, so that's the first brand I...
  8. S

Adding an internal zip drive to a PC

Is it possible to add a zip 100 drive to a 386 system? I also have a Pentium 1 machine. Both systems run DOS and don't have Windows on them. I remember in the late 90s seeing a family member have an external zip drive on his PC, but that was most likely Windows 98 and a drive running on the...
  9. S

Drive letter assignments

My 386 has a bios from 1991. I believe there is a way to switch floppy drive letter assignments on later bios versions but mine doesn’t have it. I have a 3.5” and a 5.25” drive. I want the 3.5” to be A: and the 5.25” to be B:. The problem is that the way it’s hooked up now works, but the drive...
  10. S

Floppy Disk Testing

Is there some DOS software that tests floppy disks really well? I'm having to chunk a few here and there. I'd like to run the media through some rigorous testing and use the ones that have no issues. PS: is there also a floppy disk drive tester out there?
  11. S

Creating DOS installation disks

Does someone have some files for creating DOS installation disks, but from DOS itself? There are some DOS programs that work with image files and floppies but I don’t think the 4-disk set of the DOS install that’s floating around on the net are compatible with those programs. I could buy a USB...
  12. S

Motherboard Identification

Bought a Pentium board on EBay. Looking to identify the make/model so I can wire the front panel correctly. Looked but didn't see any brand markings. Take a look here...
  13. S

The South 5.25" floppy drive and Socket 7 motherboard

I'm looking for a good 5.25" floppy drive as well as a Socket 7 motherboard. Those 5.25" drives are more expensive than I thought after looking on Ebay, but I've got to have one as a backup. I also want a Socket 7 motherboard from around 95-96 or so. I'm trying to avoid having to resolder a new...
  14. S

DB37 CDROM port

This old 386 I acquired has a CDROM and it has two peculiarities (to me). One is that the CDROM attaches to an ISA card via a ribbon cable, which is normal, but the ISA card has a DB37 port on the back of it and it says "CDROM Interface Port". Is this for connecting yet another, external CDROM...
  15. S

Wikipedia access in DOS

Is it possible to access wikipedia from DOS? Accessing it via a DOS web browser would probably be the best bet, since the database is over 20GB zipped and DOS can only handle 2GB partitions. Having a local copy of it and accessing it offline in DOS sounds amazing but I think it's probably not...
  16. S

BIOS/CMOS Guide?

I'm tinkering with a 386. The BIOS version is a little earlier than I'm familiar with, and by 'familiar with' I mean I last did this stuff 25+ years ago. It's been a while so I'm very rusty (I'm stuck on the hard drive interleaving setting!). I'm going through the Advanced options and the...
  17. S

Quantum ProDrive identification

I'm tinkering with some old systems and trying to remember how all of this worked back in the 90s. The deal is, I've got a 386 machine with an earlier bios/cmos than I'm used to, and from what I can tell, later versions of motherboards automatically sensed hard drive settings, but if you've got...
Back