• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. tejones777

1973 "Popular Computing" Newsletter by Fred Gruenberger???

Good news! I think the problem is solved! While I don't have complete confirmation from John Scott (son of Fred and Audrey Gruenberger) that he will release the copyright to the public domain (copyright expires in 2068 - 70 years after Fred's death), he suggests that may be the plan. Dave...
  2. tejones777

Interesting! That's 3.5 years out of the total 8-9 years, and the microfiche copies would be much better than trying to photograph a bound book. I'm not sure what a "renegade" is, but it does sound tedious to do anything with the over 600 pages of those 3.5 years of pages. But until the...
  3. tejones777

Thank you for the lead, Al! I'll try. I found Dave's linkedin profile, but can't seem to find any contact number or email. I found someone with his name who used to live in Simi Valley, and now is in Sacramento, and left a message for him (sounds like his wife's phone number, Debbie, though.)...
  4. tejones777

No responses, but I'm posting a short web page in hopes it may catch interested people searching google, and lead to some "leads." https://techarc.com/gruenberger I'm posting this hoping that someone, someday, may stubble upon this, and have more information, but this is a long shot.
  5. tejones777

Fred Gruenberger was a well known computer pioneer, author and professor at California State University, Northridge. He wrote 28 books on computing, and started the Computer Science degree program at Northridge in the early 1970's. In June 1973 he announced he was going to publish a monthly...
  6. tejones777

Kenbak-1 50th Anniversary this year

Bummer. None left. I had previously looked all over Axman St Paul several months ago, even searched in other bins and behind bins, hoping one or two was mis-sorted or fell out. Today I checked Axman in Fridley, and Axman in St. Louis park, the two other locations. All stores had a similar...
  7. tejones777

Man, you've put a lot of work into this! Would be interesting to archive all of your work and schematics, and code examples if you were willing to share. Those micro lights are amazing! Yes, they definitely look like the original lights. How many did you find? I've always tried to "decode"...
  8. tejones777

Richard: Where did you get those Micro Lights? Are those the same size as the original...

Richard: Where did you get those Micro Lights? Are those the same size as the original Kenbak-1's? I can't tell. But they do look close. You've really done a lot of work on this. Can you share schematics? I'd love to put copies of your modifications with schematics and photos on Kenbak-1...
  9. tejones777

Family Photo - 8008 Based Machines

Amazing collection! So the two on top are original vintage 1970's, and the two on bottom are later replicas? That Sim-8 is really something. I've given up decades agao on finding a Sim-8 or a Scelbi, but still long to see one in real life.
  10. tejones777

Richard: Amazing feat! You've probably become the world's expert on the Kenbak-1 hardware through figuring this out. Do share pictures, and as much as you can. Don't let all your work just get lost to time! - Thomas.
  11. tejones777

Living Computer Museum, in Seattle...... Status?

The amazing "Living Computer Museum" in Seattle Washington "temporarily" closed during the COVID epidemic, then said they are re-evaluating "if" they will reopen. But their Facebook, twitter, and website updates have been silent for a very long time. Does anyone know what's up? I suspect they...
  12. tejones777

Cool idea Richard! Only one person, ever claimed to successfully expanded the memory of a Kenbak-1 computer past 256 bytes. That's "Tom Crosley" who purchased his Kenbak-1 after seeing it advertised in Scientific American magazine. He later sold his computer via eBay to Erik Klein in 2004...
  13. tejones777

What's this? (Possible Mark-8?)

Excellent Website Roland, and that's an amazing example of the Mark-8. I like databases listing all known copies of rare things. The art community has done it for decades, keeping track of all known Van Gogh paintings, or all the Renoir masterpieces, and it helps make sure counterfeits don't...
  14. tejones777

Looking for some vintage computers (long wishlist)

I can vouch for Achim, he has a world-class collection of some very important computers. The reason he never asked for Apple-1's, is that he has "several" of these, I think eight. He's gone to great lengths to acquire and preserve important computers. But he doesn't just collect and hoard...
  15. tejones777

Help identify odd Semiconductor Logo (square with N or Z?)

Actually, they all have cutt-off corners, so doesn't really make a full 4-sided figure. In the attached picture, it's actually the same specimen, but they all have the "incomplete square" with the corners not really matching up. if you orient it so it's a "N" instead of a "Z" the left and...
  16. tejones777

Gosh, asking Jack Ward is a great idea, but I actually have sent him two emails over the last 4 days, and he hasn't responded to either yet, so I'll give him a few days, before I ask him a new question. But it seems like he's the best guy for vintage/early transistors anywhere. That...
  17. tejones777

I thought of Zenith too. They did make early transistors, but I can't find any evidence of a Zenith logo like this on any vintage parts. I'm thinking it's an "N" rather than a "Z" as the longer axis of the letter is normally vertigo, suggesting a N. But I can't find any examples of "N" or "Z"...
  18. tejones777

Can anyone identify the attached logo? It's on a 1950's or maybe early 60's transistor, and I can't figure out what it is. Seems to a Z or an N inside a square. The part is a 3-lead metal can, like a transistor, and is labled NS747 and 352 (which I thought could be a date code, but 1952 is a...
  19. tejones777

WALMOR UPC 2600 EPROM Programmer (Trying to program the old 1702A EPROMs)

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm bummed my Pro-Log M900 doesn't have any good personality modules. And a bit bummed my Intel UPP is also missing it's personality modules. And bummed my WALMAR programmer is dead, and lacking any documentation (but someday I'll still probably fix it.) I...
  20. tejones777

WALMOR UPC 2600 EPROM Programmer (Trying to program the old 1702A EPROMs)

Bummer, my Pro-Log M900 is a no-go. I only have the personality plugin for a 2704 or 2708 EPROM. My chances of finding the right personality plugin is about zero. I thought it could do a 1702A because the UV eraser was full of 1702A's stored inside. I really wish there was an affordable and...
Back