• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. tom.storey

CF cards and changing PIO modes (enable IORDY)

Hi, thanks for the response. I found out some more in the mean time, and while the signal is mandatory for use in PIO mode 3 and above, the consensus I received seems to be that at the speeds I am trying to access the card Im probably highly unlikely to stress the card enough to provoke it in to...
  2. tom.storey

CF cards and changing PIO modes (enable IORDY)

Hi all. I cant quite decide if this should go in the hardware or programming forums as it straddles the lines of both in certain ways, but I feel its more appropriate here. Im trying to enable the IORDY signal on a CF card. The capabilities word obtained from an "identify" command states that...
  3. tom.storey

XTIDE tech support thread

Or heck, have an EEPROM programmer handy. They are useful for more than just an XT-IDE BIOS. :)
  4. tom.storey

What kind of effect does this have? I wouldnt have thought it would cause too much of an issue, as most signals simply end up with 2x the pull up/down resistance, and one of them 1x. That said, one of the signals becomes the pull up/down voltage/current source, and maybe that places too much...
  5. tom.storey

Happens to me more often than I'd care to admit really. :LOL:
  6. tom.storey

Yep, exactly. xtidecfg modifies the ROM file with the settings it needs, you can then write that image straight to the (E)EPROM/flash chip using any programmer.
  7. tom.storey

You can run xtidecfg.com under e.g. dosbox on another machine, it doesnt have to be run on the machine itself. You do then, of course, need a separate programmer to program the ROM to install onto the card itself. If you dont have that then a gotek floppy emulator is probably not a bad...
  8. tom.storey

ATX Turbo XT mainboard project revision 3 - now released on GitHub

This to me sounds very much like the result of a floating signal somewhere. Are you using any CMOS (HC or HCT) chips in your design? I'd be looking at them because TTL chips kind of have a natural pull-up on their inputs so shouldnt be as susceptible to that kind of thing.
  9. tom.storey

C code portability question

size_t is unsigned, at least 16 bits, and big enough to hold a value equal to the maximum value of an array index. It might be worth looking into as a loop counter, especially if you're using that counter to index into an array. The difficulty comes, I guess, from the fact it is only...
  10. tom.storey

Hello from Melbourne.AU and Cambridge.UK

Another born and bred Aussie here, doing my time just north of London. Only 10 years in though. :-)
  11. tom.storey

Commander X16 - The 8 Bit Guy's Dream Computer Discussion Thread

Yeah definitely, although it does take away from the "retro feeling". I guess you have to choose your poison though.
  12. tom.storey

Commander X16 - The 8 Bit Guy's Dream Computer Discussion Thread

It's a through hole DIP board. These things are still produced in ridiculous quantities every day. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a CM that could assemble this board for them, if they even looked...? The impression I got from the video is that they read some stories from people...
  13. tom.storey

Has anyone here had to dispute an order with PCBWay?

This is mountain out of mole hill level stuff. I think you're very much over reacting. Getting the CC company involved would be a huge deal too. PCBWay have delivered a perfectly electrically and mechanically functional product, and your concern is over something purely cosmetic. Solder mask...
  14. tom.storey

Dusting off the old analog dial-up modems

I have a Cisco router with a bank of digital modems in it along with a bunch of voice and channelised trunk interfaces that was enough to build a "PSTN and ISP in a box". I should dust it off and try it out from my XT, that would be a much more appropriate client. Last time I used it I tried...
  15. tom.storey

How does DOS detect the presence of an RTC?

My board is going to include a few things, including a socket that can be used for option ROM development. But I was hoping to avoid needing to go the option ROM route (at least initially, but my ambitions will probably change) for the RTC, and just go with a small companion app, and after that...
  16. tom.storey

Tandon floppy drive no longer wants to read any disks

My flap shows the same as modem7. Why does it feel slightly naughty to say that. 😆
  17. tom.storey

Looking for suggestions on a 25-port oscilloscope (or DB25 monitor)

Why not take a different approach. Trace the pins from the connector to where ever they go on the PCB. Some of them are probably ground, others VCC, and others probably not connected at all and can be ruled out immediately saving work. Others might be really bleeding obvious, such as going...
  18. tom.storey

8088 DOS screen handler and macros

If youre willing to share the code, I would say just stick it up somewhere and share the link, whether anyone asks for it right now or not. Perhaps at some point in the future someone will find it useful, once this thread has well and truly cooled down. :) You can create a GitHub or Git Lab...
  19. tom.storey

Home-made memory expansion board prevents booting from floppy disks?

Yes, I do know. Im just covering all of the bases. The prototype board should enable you to build anything you want, and I'd like to set it up with the right circuitry to make that possible.
Back