• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Myriad of vintage items for sale.

As someone who did e-scrap / e-waste back in the day, unless you need money "right now" selling items to collectors should bring in much more.
  2. M

New England A heaping bunch of PCMCIA Wireless Network cards $12.00 + Shipping

All of the above cards are early WiFi , 11Mbps max speed for some of them. The difference between Silver and Gold is the level of (now obsolete) encryption they offer; from memory, Silver is 40-bit and Gold is 128-bit but the protocol was broken a while back, so not secure in any case. Cisco...
  3. M

Any value

It is very likely that anything marked "HP" has some value. The 2640B , is it complete? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2640 Note: HP re-used part numbers a lot so sometimes an HP inkjet printer will show up first in search results.
  4. M

Sun Fire V120 and Netra 120 Power Supply

I would check some settings, you may have to dig, sadly. I would say that you should check the following: 1. there are no firewall rules on any part of the network interfaces you are using. Note that NAT rules are not shown unless you specifically ask to see them (there are different...
  5. M

End of OpenVMS Community License

Basically they don't want you to stay on Alpha/Itanium and should instead move to x64 and thus help them debug/prove out the x64 platform. You get a VM that you can run, but you should probably get an NFS server and store all the stuff you care about somewhere else! Or some other way of having...
  6. M

Python

The ABC language was a precursor to Python, it was worked on by the same author as Python, Guido van Rossum. Early Python info, the early days: https://reinout.vanrees.org/weblog/2018/04/25/origin-of-python-abc.html The original inspiration for Python was as a systems administration...
  7. M

From memory, it is convoluted the first time. I am not sure if Solaris 10 needs a "bootp" daemon or if it can all be handled via DHCP. What I dimly remember is that the server hostname needs to be set up for it to work properly. So if you are handing it 192.168.10.10 as an IP, you need to be...
  8. M

It is nice to know it is that easy! What will you do with the V120?
  9. M

Help! I've Fallen Down a Rabbit Hole and Can't Get up!

So the PDP10 series - I have been reading a great deal about these, seems they run TOPS-10 and TOPS-20 and ITS OSes ... mentioned a great deal in the book Hackers by Steven Levy ... is there someone familiar with this that can speak to what it was like to use? There is a SIMH emulator for it...
  10. M

Sun386i. Overdrive processors: Why don't they work?

This document (search for 386i) seems to indicate it does check the CPU: https://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref2.html Mentioned in the EEPROM/NVRAM section: 0x111 Sun386i CPU revision level 0x01 P1.5 CPU (should not be in the field) 0x02 501-1241/1324-xx...
  11. M

The Sun Fire series was designed for regular data center deployments while the Netra in addition to DC PSU, was supposed to be somehow designed or the case reinforced in such a way as to be compliant to the NEBS standard. If you have both it would be interesting for you to look and see if the...
  12. M

IBM ps2 P70 portable repair thread

it looks great! I keep looking for one but I doubt I will ever find one!
  13. M

We need something better than cards for retro PC HD Drive Replacement

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind. 😤
  14. M

Overview site - PDP-1/8/10/11 replicas

I think the Pi 5 requires a fan and the 4 may need a fan depending on how heavily you drive it.
  15. M

Is this still valid? I did email oscar@ceds.dev already :) "Apologies! The order button is still disabled right now. We are actually preparing the first batch of PiDP-10 kits, and it will be a few weeks before we have new kits ready. If you want to pre-order, please email oscar@ceds.dev. We...
  16. M

The PDP-10 kit looks gorgeous! I have a RaspberryPi 4 set aside for it already 😁 And it is the first one that I am willing to pony up some cash to buy... I emailed you and will be waiting to hear once the kits are ready to buy!
  17. M

PDP10 / DECsystem emulation?

I take it I will never be able to afford the XKL "TOAD" devices which put an entire PDP10 on a custom chip, so, can anyone speak to regular PDP10 emulators? What is a good OS to use on them, etc.?
  18. M

Anyone ever though about a clone/improvement on those RAM-drives?

Searching for "sata interface fpga" gives a host of links of people who have built SATA interfaces into FPGAs and some are even open-source down to the FPGA and the PCB board design itself. You would have to figure out how to "reverse" the SATA flow so that your FPGA would be a target of a SATA...
  19. M

Anyone ever though about a clone/improvement on those RAM-drives?

I owned and used one of these in the past - while pretty cool, I don't think it really fits in with much stuff , in that you can get SSDs that are just as fast and more durable in terms of not having the data go away if the battery dies.
  20. M

New England Tandy collection for sale

I would love it but don't know when I will next be near Boston :cry:
Back