• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Pickelhaube808

Serial parallel Isa card help/id

I will take that as a no...
  2. Pickelhaube808

What is your daily driver?

At the moment.... Since my main W10 computer is borked, I am on W3.11 on my 486 (160MHz DX4 & 160Hz display :))
  3. Pickelhaube808

Composite capture recommendations

I can't confirm that it would work in your situation since I don't have those machines, but I have a Dazzle DVD Recorder HD that I got open box for $25 and it's the best usb composite + svideo capture device I have used. The drivers were a bit of a pain to get set up (took like half an hour of...
  4. Pickelhaube808

Texas WTB: IBM Dot Matrix Printer

While I am mainly interested in the 5152, I may also be interested in some models I am less familiar with. I just got an interest in dot matrix printing and would like to be able to print things from my PC and other old machines.
  5. Pickelhaube808

I need help burning code into Intel 8086-2.

CPUs can't really be flashed unless you were to buy something like an FPGA (which would still not solve the problem in this case as). You will have to find an EEPROM (unless you have a strong UV light) and a multitude of other chips to interface with the 8086 in order to run your assembly...
  6. Pickelhaube808

Methods for Reducing 15kHz CRT Whine?

Opened her up for the first time and gave her a cleaning and then did the test... yep... it's the flyback.
  7. Pickelhaube808

Southern Europe Computer Translucent Green Rare

While I am not in the market for one at the moment, you may get some hits if you take some pictures of the inside too :)
  8. Pickelhaube808

Methods for Reducing 15kHz CRT Whine?

I have a few CRTs which range in severity when it comes to emitting that nice 15kHz screech- from my awesome Samsung Syncmaster 900SL which will only make an audible noise when feeding in jank signals (it is mostly quiet), to my Toshiba 14AF42 TV which makes a pretty audible and annoying noise...
  9. Pickelhaube808

486 Overclocking: Where does the clock come from?

What is significant about 14.31818...? It's certainly not a clean 2^n like 16.384MHz, and looks more like an irrational number to me. Is there another component that takes this clock and coverts it to 25/33/40/50/66 before sending it to the CPU to be multiplied again (in DX* chips)?
  10. Pickelhaube808

486 Overclocking: Where does the clock come from?

This feels like a weird question to ask, but when using the multiplier jumpers on a board to switch between ex. 25, 33, 40, and 50MHz, what is actually generating this base clock? Do the jumpers control an external clock (such as the 14.31818MHz crystal I see nearby on the board) or does the...
  11. Pickelhaube808

Pro Audio Spectrum 16 w/ DOOM

Yeah, really not sure what I was doing wrong. I had reinstalled it three times, asked here, reinstalled it again, and it just works now. ???????????
  12. Pickelhaube808

What are your current projects?

Bought a cool tested/working 486 board the other day on eBay for $50... Turns out it's an M919 3.4B/F and I had no idea until 20 minutes later. Was just finishing up another 486 build, but will try to build my ultimate 486 overclocking rig when stuff starts to arrive. Also bought the components...
  13. Pickelhaube808

There must be something I did wrong because those are the drivers I am using. I will try a reinstall tonight...
  14. Pickelhaube808

I finally got my 486 together and working and decided to test out DOOM... It runs and sounds great... for what I can actually hear. Sound effects from the game work just fine, yet for some reason it isn't playing any of the music through the FM chip. I also cannot get it to play no matter what...
  15. Pickelhaube808

Weird RGB / CGA Video Conversion Question

Thanks! Whatever the hex inverter did to the signals works for me :)
  16. Pickelhaube808

VGA -> CGA... Is it possible?

I have an IBM 5153 that I would like to do more with and it is much more portable than the other CRTs I own. While I have converted CGA to VGA before, I haven't really ever seen anything that goes the other way around, except for one sketchy looking adapter that claims to go from VGA to CGA, yet...
  17. Pickelhaube808

Thank you so much @Chuck(G)! That was the solution. After making a VERY janky prototype... (The perfboard unexpectedly shattered when I tried to cut it on the ends :) ) It works as well I could ask for and I will be designing a PCB to be printed so I can have a much more durable and easy...
  18. Pickelhaube808

Rocky Mountains 12+ 5.25" external bays in an ATX case

Sick... Filling it all with Thermaltake XRays I assume? :p
  19. Pickelhaube808

That almost looks too good to be true... Since I already have a DIN8 to DB9 cable, I can also slap a female DB9 connector on each end of the perfboard so I don't have to make any custom cables or god forbid solder more DIN connectors. Ordering all of the stuff now, thank you very much for your...
  20. Pickelhaube808

AH. That probably explains it. When plugging in the individual red, green, and blue wires to the 5153, I would get cyan, magenta, and yellow respectively, so I assume that they are negative too. Would you happen to know what the easiest way to rememdy this would be? I suspect applying a...
Back