• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

RomBuilder Pro for GRiD

I've been out of the loop since Klyball sent me a modified BIOS for my 1530, but I also would love access to this tool if it's available. The modified BIOS I have throws a hard drive controller failure on boot, but I can then bypass with the F1 key and it boots DOS from a Kingston 512MB CF card...
  2. A

Trimming down the hoard - local pickup only - DFW, Texas

Hi folks, We're planning a move in the next year and I need to drastically slim down my collection. A lot of these items are heavy and/or fragile and I'm not interested in shipping, or paying Ebay/paypal fees. I'm in Denton, Texas. I'll accept Venmo or cash payments. All of these items...
  3. A

Some success with a age old GRiD problem

Thanks to Klyball for his expertise in modifying my 1530 BIOS, I now have a machine that boots from CF card! Photos of the install & boot process attached. At boot I have to wait about 45 seconds for the error message to pop up, but once I press F1, it boots! I'm also including photos of the...
  4. A

Here's a photo of my CF/IDE adapter & the right angle 40 pin connectors I bought. I desoldered the male connector on the adapter and soldered the right angle connector to it. No cable needed. It plugs in upside down onto the drive backplane in my 1530. Now I just need a BIOS that can work...
  5. A

Need assistance from a BIOS / Assembly expert!

I'm looking for someone to assist with modifying the BIOS for a GRID laptop. These machines are notorious for only working with certain models of Conner hard drives. This post describes some success another forum member has had with modifying the BIOS, and includes a description of what's...
  6. A

Some(?) progress: I got the drive geometry & name/ID settings for a few CF cards (64MB, 512MB & 1GB) using another machine and the hddid.exe program. I plugged the values for the 64MB card into the 1530ROM.BAS and wrote out the even & odd BIOS images. I burned them to new EPROMs. I see the...
  7. A

AT&T 6300 won't post

Wanted to update everyone that I now have a working 6300! The original PSU was failing, even after replacing all caps, it would only put out ~2v on the 5v line and ~6v on the 12 v line. I gutted it, kept part of the top circuit board with the screw terminals and stuffed a modified ATX PSU into...
  8. A

How to read parallel-port POST diagnostic codes?

Progress?? I installed the EGA card and keyboard and fired it up. For. Exactly. One. Boot.... Subsequent restarts give me code 43, 44, 45, keyboard lights keep flashing, nothing on the display. So if I understand the codes from previous posts correctly: On the 1.21 ROM motherboard since it...
  9. A

How to read parallel-port POST diagnostic codes?

I think this code reader might be defective. I've tested it multiple times on a working 486 and a working Pentium 3 machine - one with award bios, the other with AMI. Most of the time, it will start up with either 8888 or 88 with 2 of the segments flickering. Once, I got an FFAA code out of...
  10. A

AT&T 6300 won't post

This motherboard is more & more suspect... It looks like someone did some re-work on the board at some point. And there are a couple of components missing
  11. A

AT&T 6300 won't post

I recently acquired a pretty loaded 6300. It has what I believe is a memory board (in addition to 640K on the motherboard) {EDIT} My bad: 640K total with the fully populated memory board. 8087. VDC 750 EGA card. Write-right bus enhancer. 20MB seagate ST-225. 319 display. Mouse. Boxed copy of...
  12. A

Power supply Modified GridCase 1530 ( Help powering it on )

Also, if it helps any, here are some photos of a stock 1530 power port. All of the power lines should run to the DC-DC converter board (highlighted with the red box around it). Good luck!
  13. A

How to load .bin files on an Apple IIc

Hi folks, I recently acquired an Apple IIc in unknown working condition and without the power brick. I put a 7pin DIN female connector on a 12 volt power adapter from a Wyse thin client that I had laying around and got the machine working. Then I made a null-modem serial cable and got...
  14. A

AT&T 7300 RAM repair

Inspired by this post from a few months ago: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?49052-AT-amp-T-7300-Unix-PC I pulled my 7300 out of storage to have another crack at fixing it. It displays this image and has motherboard LED's 1(red) & 3(yellow) lit. According to the...
  15. A

Where have all the threads gone?

This may be a really stupid question, but when I look at, say, the Vintage Computer Hardware forum in the forum list, it shows 600+ threads. But when I drill down into that forum, I only see about 3 pages worth - approx. 60 or so threads. Was there a database upgrade or problem that caused a...
  16. A

Howdy from Denton, TX

Hi folks, I've been reading a bunch of posts on here and it feels like coming home! In college, I worked at a computer store in Rockville, MD. Initially we sold Atari, Commodore & Apple 8bit computers & software (mostly games), then the IBM PC came out and the boss figured that was where the...
Back