• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

PDP-11/35 Restoration

Earlier this year, I moved the PDP-11/35 which had been lurking in my basement to some spare space at my employer's offices. The last few weeks some colleagues and I have been working on getting the old girl working again. Our first evening was taken up by the usual cleaning duties and racking...
  2. C

Amiga floppy trouble

I was tinkering with the old A500 last weekend when it suddenly stopped reading disks. When it tries to boot, it just flicks the heads back and forth three times, then gives up. I dug out an A1200 floppy to try in it last night. It doesn't fit in the case, but seemed to get a bit further: The...
  3. C

Manx revival project

There's been some discussion on cctalk lately about the Manx documentation catalogue. The site's creator is no longer maintaining it, so a few of us are looking into building a new system to host this wealth of useful data. Work has already started on deconstructing a dump of the database. The...
  4. C

PCB review

I've been messing around in KiCad, trying to get up to speed with actually making a PCB as opposed to simply drawing schematics. I was wondering if any of our resident experts might be inclined to have a quick look at the results to see if I'm on the right track. The routing was done on...
  5. C

Book: Programming in Fortran 90

By J.S. Morgan and J.L. Schonfelder, 1993. ISBN 1-872474-06-3 350 pages and in good condition. Trades preferred, otherwise free for cost of shipping.
  6. C

Wanted: 5.25" DSHD floppies

I can lay my hands on practically any other type of floppy, but for some reason I don't have any of these around. Looking for a box or two (10 to 20 disks) - the more local, the better. Cash or trade possible.
  7. C

Shallow 3U/4U rack-mount chassis

I'm looking a chassis with six or more 5.25" bays on the front, preferably 3U high, but 4U would work too. Problem is, there's a bulkhead in the back of this rack which limits the usable depth to about 470mm/18.5". There are plenty out there with lots of lovely bays and I've found a few which...
  8. C

"Universal" QBus adapter

As those of you who follow the classiccmp mailing list may have noticed, there is another exciting QBus project unfolding as we speak. The product could be likened to a sort of QBus development board and would essentially let you emulate (for want of a better word) practically any QBus adapter -...
  9. C

Interested in a Qbus MSCP to ATA/IDE/SD adapter?

Ok, here's a quick block diagram of what I'm playing with at the moment. The buffer on the ATA interface might be overkill, or there may need to be an extra one on the Qbus transceivers depending on how they're implemented. The address/interrupt decoding stuff deserves some extra explanation...
  10. C

Interested in a Qbus MSCP to ATA/IDE/SD adapter?

I've been thinking about putting together a Qbus MSCP to ATA/IDE adapter for a while now; mostly just brainstorming, but as my supply of remaining functional MFM drives begins to dwindle, maybe it's time to do something concrete about it. SCSI adapters tend to be expensive (if buying a...
  11. C

ZX81 video modes help

No, R30 is the jumper - you need to fit it. The position is marked with a silkscreen box, between the ULA and the voltage regulator. As the instructions say, make sure you get the correct hole on the left:
  12. C

US model Super NES for parts

Title says it all, really ;-) Scruffy example or non-runner would be fine - I only need it for the parts.
  13. C

PC Engine GT "revived"

Just picked up one of these (probably better known to the North Americans among us as the NEC TurboExpress) on ePay for a pretty reasonable price seeing as the previous owner was experiencing video trouble. As with a lot of handhelds, sound and video often go bad due to leaky electrolytic...
  14. C

A quick fix

A few days ago, I go to drive into the garage under our building and it turns out the remote control had quit working. Figuring it would be covered by the tenants' association, I call them up and ask about getting a replacement. I'm told no problem - this happens all the time so they keep a...
  15. C

Illuminated Atari sign on eBay

This popped up in a (completely unrelated) eBay search and I though someone here might be interested. Looks like the kind of sign you'd hang in a store window: item #170335967378. Item is in France but the seller says to ship worldwide.
  16. C

Troubleshooting Guides on the Wiki

I've mentioned it in passing in a few threads but maybe a more official announcement is in order. Over on the Vintage Computer Wiki, I've started writing up a few troubleshooting articles. It's not exactly brimming with details just yet, but I'm hoping it'll become a comprehensive guide to...
  17. C

I really like the different icons on the index and the bold text in the individual forums - very easy to see where any new posts are at a glance. However, now and again it appears that the forums suddenly decide for themselves that I've read everything, while there are still plenty of unread...
  18. C

Sharp PC-1403H

I picked up a Sharp PC-1403H recently and just got around to replacing the exceedingly dead batteries. It doesn't however seem to do much. All I get is the "BUSY" indicator and a "*" in the right-most column of the display. Tried the reset button on the bottom and, apart from the display going...
  19. C

PET file transfer

I'd be interested to hear other members' experiences with transferring data from a PC to a PET. I'd like to be able to transfer individual files (such as a .PRG) as well as disk images. CBM-HD looks nice, but seems to require more work hardware-wise than something like cbmlink, which looks like...
  20. C

IEEE-488 cable

I'm looking for an IEEE-488 cable with which to connect a Commodore PET to a 8050 disk drive. Preference would of course go to one with the PET edge connector at one end. Failing that, one to which I could graft said connector would be an option. Thanks!
Back