• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Model III Holmes FDC & Real Time Clock

Here is the Basic program I wrote to Set & Read the RTC. Note: pokes values into MultiDos, so change maybe required to work with other Dos's. Also, I realise it could be shorter but I've left it this way so it's easy for anyone to modify, say to change from 24hr mode to am/pm. Philip
  2. P

Interesting. Thanks for that.
  3. P

Well, there was some luck involved in solving it quickly. I first in Basic did a FOR-NEXT loop which constantly INP from a range of ports & displayed on screen. I moved my range downwards from 255 & was delighted when I saw a digit increment every second from 0-9. This was the 'seconds' and it...
  4. P

Oh, so it does, thank you Eudimorphodon. Yes, I can now set mins, hours, etc. Wow, can't believe it's that easy - I was preparing for a major battle getting the RTC to work. I'm really enjoying using my Model III in stock/early-80s configuration as I now have the floppy drives working 100% -...
  5. P

Thank you all for the replies - we have some success! The first port I tried (230) seems to be the "latch" port. Sending values 0-12 (as per MSM5832 datasheet) selects all the different registers for subsequent inp(231). I can see time accumulating and it states 24 days since I applied power to...
  6. P

Thanks Jenz. I'll read up on that chip and maybe I'll get lucky outputting a command to a port... Philip
  7. P

No, I don't know & my machine is now all closed up. However Patrick B's thread on the same board has a photo of the board, but I can't read the chip number. I'll ask him as he'll have a higher-res photo.
  8. P

I would like to get the RTC going in my Model III which came as a feature on the aftermarket Holmes FDC DX-3D board it has fitted. I renewed the on-board battery, but first relocated it to make future renewals easy. I can't find any docs about this FDC + RTC, so have tried Newclock-80 port...
  9. P

Strange Characters on TRS-80 Model 4

I would suggest checking -5V supply.
  10. P

Looking for "BASIC/Z - Native Code Compiler" software

Thanks Chuck. I see, a proprietary system and appeared to be an impressive one for 1980. Thanks for the links.
  11. P

Looking for "BASIC/Z - Native Code Compiler" software

Chuck(G), I'd like to learn more about STAR BASIC. I can't find anything online about it, only North Star Basic. Ideally an online manual would be nice. Thanks
  12. P

Toshiba T3100e and RAM video

Does it still have the onboard Ni-Cd battery? Is it old? Once I snipped mine off & cleaned up the PCB, my T2100 came back to life & vertical line disappeared. See this post.
  13. P

TRS-80 Model 1 RS-232

Thanks Eudimorphodon, that was the hint I needed. Further research shows Micromint produced the COMM-80 interface which included RS-232 & parallel printer port. This article describes the board in detail. Philip
  14. P

TRS-80 Model 1 RS-232

In the day, was there a popular & practical add-on that gave a cassette-based Model 1 the RS-232 function without buying an Expansion Unit? Thanks Philip
  15. P

BIOS for Toshiba T2100

I disassembled the laptop & sure enough found a leaking on-board Ni-Cd with a degree of green fuzz underneath. I unsoldered it and cleaned up the fuzz with White Vinegar, then IPA. The drives & laptop are now 100% stable. Furthermore after some use the blank pixel column on the gas-plasma has...
  16. P

BIOS for Toshiba T2100

Hi Branko. You were going to double check that second Debug command. As it's written, I just get an error.
  17. P

BIOS for Toshiba T2100

Just the info I was looking for as with the top lifted up but with the display still attached, it was easy to lift the keyboard & reveal the BIOS chip. See photo showing I have ver 4B: Philip
  18. P

Wang 2200 MVP succession in 1990s

In 1988/9 I worked for a small software house programming Wang 2200 MVP's. Our typical clients were small businesses that used their 4-6 terminal systems for inventory control, payroll, debtors/creditors, etc. I left the industry in 1989 and now wonder what would have been a good migration path...
  19. P

Toshiba T2100 documentation

I'm about to take delivery of a Toshiba T2100 (8086, gas plasma) but have failed to find any documentation for this model on the net. I'm particularly interested in the maintenance manual, but other manuals would be good too. What doesn't help is that this model was apparently only marketed in...
  20. P

Puzzled by disk parameter block

Hello all I'm fitting CP/M up to an 8085 system that uses a RAM disk as opposed to floppy disks. I'm stuck with figuring out the Disk Parameter Block I should be using, the Alteration Guide just isn't making sense to me. What I have is: 8 sectors (0..7) of 128 bytes (1024 bytes) 256 tracks...
Back