• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. DougM

Cromemco JS-1 Joystick Replica

Here are the DXF's in case anyone wants to play around with them. I had to zip them because this platform won't accept native DXF I don't have a laser cutter in house but if @wperko If you want to laser cut them and send to @nullvalue for confirmation that might be good. Next up, what is the...
  2. DougM

That's why it sounded so familiar :-)
  3. DougM

I recall yet another YouTube video where the guy said you get some mailing labels, take all the labels off, print onto the backing on the side where the labels used to be and then transfer that.
  4. DougM

Yes, I can either make the slots a bit longer to compensate for the roundover or I can deliver it as is and someone can file square corners in. I think I would just use a regular file for this rather than the diamond ones. They are great, but if you want nice square corners and fast cutting...
  5. DougM

They are Gantry CNC machines, sorta home made... In this picture you can see the little one in the foreground and the big one in the background.
  6. DougM

The 8-bit Guy on YouTube talks about those quite a bit, you might be able to find good ideas there. I'm curious about this too.
  7. DougM

Here's what I usually put together before I head down to the shop. Obviously all of these numbers are made up. Once I have the thing programmed into the machine I can cut a sample faceplate and you can test fit before I actually try to cut the box. That might avoid $34 mistakes.
  8. DougM

Just the box and a drawing :) Let me know if you need more details on what the drawing should look like.
  9. DougM

Are you still looking for someone to cut your panels for you? I'd be happy to take a run at it.
  10. DougM

fun PCI cards to fiddle with?

/thread hijack/ I still have a DTV capture box. It used to be a Win7 box with Windows Media Center until that finally gave up the ghost. Now I use NextPVR. I drag it out for the Olympics and the Oscars and the very rare sporting event. I hook it up to that giant antenna I still have...
  11. DougM

Battery-bombed MicroVAX 3100/90

I would check every cap to make sure none of them have failed short. This one looks pretty messy DougM
  12. DougM

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

Just for fun I weighed them (slow morning) The Unicomp is 3 lb 13.6 oz True Blue is 4lb 8.3oz So not that much difference. I wonder where the actual delta lies. cheapie modern HP keyboard is 1lb 5.7 oz
  13. DougM

They went away?
  14. DougM

I'm typing on a Unicomp right now and none of those things are true in my case. Though I did buy it a long time ago, so quality may have degraded. The only 2 things that are different between this one and the model M in the other room is that the sound is different and, weirdly, keyboard...
  15. DougM

Managing your retro projects...tips?

This! I have a fixes.txt in all of my project folders. That way I don't lose track of what I need to improve. Several times I have made changes to and then ordered a board only to realize when I receive it that I totally forgot one thing. big waste of $$
  16. DougM

Repairing the Locking Mechanism in an Epson SD-600 Floppy Disk Drive

Ah, finally a way I can contribute! If someone has a broken part they can send me I probably can machine up replacements out of Delrin.
  17. DougM

Obnoxious eBay "please use our app!" popover

Didn't need a search to figure that one out :-)
  18. DougM

Gene Amdahl was slightly ahead of his time...

Imagine a Beowulf Cluster of those!
  19. DougM

Pi Day

Everyone please report back how long it took to run it on your various systems :-) My low end Windows desktop did it in TotalSeconds : 11.4026988
  20. DougM

Managing your retro projects...tips?

I've done that several times - work through all the difficult issues on the project and then set it aside, saying, "the rest is just code" and never get back to it. There are several phases to projects (not necessarily retro computer projects, but in general) and each one I like at different...
Back