• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. F

Neat site I found

http://choiceprinters.com/video/TTL-LCD-touch.html Site that sells new MDA/CGA/EGA compatible LCD monitors. It looks like a good bet for anyone that needs a monitor for their vintage machines.
  2. F

CGA monitors

I heard somewhere that the RGB output on Commodore 128s is not quite the same as the one found on PCs, and that 5153 monitors don't work with C128s, and 1902s don't work on CGA cards. It seems to be related to the scan frequency. Can anyone confirm this?
  3. F

VGA versus real CGA

A while ago, we discussed the fact that many CGA games (eg. Alley Cat) do not perform properly on VGA, but no one could figure out the exact reason. After thinking about it for a while, I've come up with the idea that it may have to do with the refresh rate. CGA always scans at 60Hz, but VGA...
  4. F

Parallel port

Yesterday, I got a parallel port on a mounting bracket for my 5150 (as it doesn't have a PP). It would connect to the AST Six-Pak, but I have two questions. Which direction does the ribbon cable attach to the card? Is it with the header connector facing upside-down or right-side up? Secondly...
  5. F

Success.

I finally got my AST Six-Pak straightened out and installed in my 5150. It had some loose memory chips, so I pushed down on all of them to make sure they were tight. There was one stubborn chip that had a badly bent leg, so I pulled it out and straightened that. Everything appeared to be in...
  6. F

Ok, you win

A while ago, some people here insisted that Alley Cat runs better on real CGA than it does on VGA. Now that I have a 5150+CGA to test it with, I'll say that it is true. The frame rate is definitely smoother, and the fish bowl level is much more playable. The game is overall harder too, as on the...
  7. F

Well, I finally have an IBM 5150.

I had gotten a 5150 off of Ebay last week, and it arrived today. All seems fine with it so far. I put my CGA card in it, set the motherboard switches for 40x25 text, and connected the video to an old 9" TV with an RF modulator. When I powered it on, I got a blinking cursor on the TV screen, and...
Back