• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Looking for EMS Driver for VLSI VL82C311L (SCAMP DT-286) chipset

I have a pretty fast 286 board I've been working on with a really late 286 chipset. There a driver online (VLEMM.SYS) for the VL82C311 chip (not VL82C311L), which is the 386SX version of this chip. When I run that driver it says EMS is disabled, regardless of the "Global EMS Control" option in...
  2. S

Pacific Northwest WTB: EMS 4.0 multitasking-compatible memory board for 8 bit ISA

I'm looking for something like an intel above board plus 8 or orchid ramquest 8/16 that can map memory down to 256k for multitasking related EMS 4.0 calls. Not something like a lotech board that only provides a 64k window in upper memory. I need this for development/testing of a project. I know...
  3. S

RealDOOM: A port of DOOM to Real Mode

RealDOOM is a port of vanilla Doom (forked from PCDoomv2, to be specific) made to run in Real Mode. (Coincidentally, another project named Doom8088 was being worked on at the same time, with a similar goal but a different starting point.) (rendered from a 16 bit program! photo representative...
  4. S

EGA Cards that have a composite signal through their RCA ports

This is a question that gets asked from time to time, and I've been researching this in the past day or so, and there is a lot of conflicting information out there about this. The original IBM EGA card I believe wired its two RCA ports to the feature connector pins 4 and 5. Around late 1986 and...
  5. S

AST Premium/286 manuals

I'm wondering if anyone has the manuals to this machine. I've come across a number of inconsistencies in online jumper references and odd BIOS behaviors that I think I've mostly figured out (and will write up later), but I wonder if anyone has the manuals, or a scan of them. It might clear up a...
  6. S

Pacific Northwest Wanted: Dump and Copy 8742 Keyboard Microcontroller (US)

I have a few identical AST 286 motherboards, but I am missing keyboard microcontrollers on two of them. They are 8742 (P8742AH) microcontroller chips. I have a USB programmer but it does not support these - my understanding is that with a Willem programmer and an MCS-48 adapter it is possible...
  7. S

Debugging AST Premium/286 POST and lack of Beep codes

I came upon a trio of AST Premium/286es today. They are (as the name implies) 286-based desktop machines with some proprietary technology based around faster memory access and the like. Anyway, I tried two power supplies including one from a working IBM 5150 with a working VGA card from that...
  8. S

WTB: 286 and 386 ISA accelerator cards

I'm always messing around with these things learning about them and trying to squeeze some more performance out of my PC Portable. I would really love to get a SOTA 386si but am interested in other cards as well. (Somewhat related- If anyone happens to have the manual for the SOTA 286i, I would...
  9. S

WTB: Sota 386si accelerator board

I have the sota 286 board and needed a teeny bit more performance. May consider just upping the crystal on that one, but I think a 386 would give more headroom. Love these things because of the on/off switch on the back and the ability to always revert back to a normal 8088 for compatibility...
  10. S

Macintosh external VGA cable - pictures

I wanted to capture a Mac SE/30 video signal for streaming and recording. I think there are a couple PDS slot cards capable of this stuff but they're rare and expensive and have various issues. I heard about some adapters people had built and they seem to stem from the section on page 168 of...
  11. S

CPU/ISA Clock on XT Clones and Turbo button behavior

Some turbo clones (such as the VTech Laser XT turbo according to its manual) seem to run the ISA bus at 4.77 MHz regardless of whether or not turbo is enabled for maximum compatibility. Others, of course, run the ISA bus clock at frequencies such as 8, 9.54, 10, or 12 MHz - whatever the...
  12. S

A method of getting applications onto a Mac SE from modern computers

For those of you without a 90s-00's or so Mac as an in-between system or a 1.4MB floppy drive, I managed to copy a bunch of applications to my Mac SE over a zip drive after a lot of trial and error using just modern systems. Of course, the problem is the lack of HFS support on modern operating...
  13. S

Homemade EGA to VGA conversion circuit

Hey all, I think EGA is a subject most relevant to early PCs and clones so I thought it most appropriate to post here. I have a IBM 5155 PC with the ATI EGA Wonder driving an EGA signal to the internal monitor. I wanted to have support for an external display without purchasing an expensive EGA...
  14. S

WTB: Sota Memory/16i RAM Board

I'm looking for the memory expansion card that is compatible with the Sota 286i and Sota 386si accelerator cards, connecting to its 16 bit bus. I promise to make good use of it! Postage would be to Seattle, Washington in the US. Thanks!
  15. S

midi playback on the XT?

I recently got my PC-XT to boot IBM-DOS 3.3 from disk and have started the process of getting some drivers for my ISA cards. One of them is a sound blaster pro 2.0 on my XT. I installed a pair of disks with a bunch of drivers and software. One of the biggest things I wanted to do was have MIDI...
  16. S

Routes to get my XT an OS

Well, I'm in a bit of a predicament with my XT. I believe I've finally got a working hard drive and it's runs its POST checks and gets no errors, but it's got the old BIOS, I'm lacking a 5.25" floppy that I can use to boot or install an OS from (or any other computers to write 5.25" media)... so...
  17. S

IBM Dos 3.30 diskette questions

anyone know if the 5.25" diskettes that come with IBM dos 3.30 are double density or high density? I want to know if they'd be compatible with my standard XT 5.25" full height floppy drive.
  18. S

looking for a 'modern' 5.25" floppy drive

looking for a 5.25" floppy drive i can stick into a newer computer so that i can create a bootdisk or whatever I might need. (These connect just like 3.5" floppy drives right?)
  19. S

Which flavor of DOS for my XT?

Soon enough, my 2 or 3 month XT-repairing odyssey will come to an end and I'll finally have a new hard drive, or at least a darned 3.5" floppy drive for my XT. I need some recommendations as far as what DOS-based OSes to use, since I'm not familiar with them. (If someone could just give me a...
  20. S

XT power supply...?

I've got an XT that i'm trying to fit with a 3.5" floppy drive using a multifunction i/o card. I can hook it up to the car fine, but the XT power supply's wiring doesnt fit the more "modern" 3.5" floppy's port. Is the voltage/current fine such that there's some converter out there? Am I supposed...
Back