• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Another PET 2001 with no cursor...

Thanks for the replies...I solved it. I traced the vsync back, and back and finally found E8 (74ls20) pin 6 stuck high. , cutting that out, socketing and replacing E8 fixed the sync issue, and also I now got a cursor! Seems this board is really fussy about IC's, and I had to do a bunch of 6520...
  2. N

Another PET 2001 with no cursor...

This is my Pet in a suitcase project that I repaired and built many years ago now. At the time it was working well, but as since decided to be a pain. The system is basically a 2001 motherboard and transformer/capacitor in a suitcase with a small board mounted to the video out header to produce...
  3. N

PSU help!!!! (Transistor identification)

Yeah maybe...Can't think what would have caused all this damage...Maybe one component failed and then there was just a cascade of failures from that...The last thing I realised that had also failed was the 12v fan :-(
  4. N

Ok, just for completeness I will wrap up this thread. John (I can't take any credit at all) finally got the PSU working! It was another monumental effort where we even considered gutting it and putting in a modern power supply. In the end John found more dead parts (mostly diodes) which finally...
  5. N

Thanks, yes that's been checked. It's full wave no doubler
  6. N

Base emitter voltage is 1.4v on both Q! and Q2
  7. N

Ok...some more time has been spent with the PSU. So here is what it does: If powered up off 220vac mains, Q1 and the 12v regulator both get killed (these two are obviously in very different parts of the circuit!!!), Q2 seems like it never dies. If the PSU is brought up slowly using a Variac to...
  8. N

the transistors in question are Q1 and Q2
  9. N

Hi. I believe the schematic is shown on post #4.
  10. N

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the LM1086 could handle these voltages
  11. N

Thanks for your reply: “Without a circuit diagram, how did you determine that the two transistors are being used as switches?” Seems very similar to the 5155 PSU diagram found here: https://slx-online.biz/hursley/docs/5155_psu.pdf …and have been using that as a general guide. Parts in question...
  12. N

...for reference the power supply is like this one: You can see the two transistor in centre bottom of the main board. can be seen here: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_PC_XT_5160_Power_Supply.jpg?fbclid=IwAR2NPN_3VXYWkUz6k8_F_F71ZC65dpdtTz9c0sVGJefspS2DCG4wf-WjR3I
  13. N

Hi all, a friend and I have been working or resurrecting a 5160 PSU (220v). It's been a mission! We have replaces a number of components that were either obviously dead or corroded and crumbling. Unfortunately, still no luck getting it to work. I was wondering if anyone recognises this part...
  14. N

5170 battery damaged MB

The actual PCB doesn't look that bad from the photo...the components on the other hand....!
  15. N

Book 8088 discovery and modification thread

Curious if you can remove the CF card and put it into a XTIDE on another retro system (5150?) and if it would likely boot to dos?
  16. N

PicoMEM Project : Pi Pico on an ISA Board.

Very excited for this board to be released. I was thinking to build another XTIDE, but I like the idea of this board being so...versatile. Waiting patiently. @FreddyV
  17. N

Ruud's Diagnostic ROM

Why don't you start a new thread? I think it would be beneficial.
  18. N

5150 keeps giving...

:) thank you everyone!
  19. N

5150 keeps giving...

I snipped leg 16 on U10. The connected part of the leg was still low :) To be more sure U10 was the culprit, I piggybacked the 74ls373 with pin 16 (A18) leg raised. I then jumpered that raised leg across to the A18 pin on the slots. I powered up and was greeted with some beeps from the speaker...
  20. N

5150 keeps giving...

Yes...thought about doing that. I'll do that before cutting it out completely. Can I probe A18 coming out of the CPU for any further insights? I saw in your guide that you recommended not testing the 1111 1111 1111 1111 0000 pattern from the CPU Thanks
Back