• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

What is a "Profile post"?

Go to your profile. The text box "Update your status" will create a profile post. Basically, easy blogging that doesn't clutter the main forum.
  2. K

New England Late 90s Macintosh Firewire External DVD+RW/CDRW QUE! DRIVE, never used like new

Intel had about a 10 year run of including Firewire (1394) in chipsets plus some USB expansion cards also included Firewire. With a Pentium III or Celeron Pentium 4, Firewire's limited CPU usage made it very attractive. I purchased a bunch of external USB/Firewire enclosures because they were...
  3. K

New England Late 90s Macintosh Firewire External DVD+RW/CDRW QUE! DRIVE, never used like new

A shame no one picked it up. I have a similar unit and it works nicely.
  4. K

VGA video RAM as regular memory

Does that model of Leading Edge use an 8086 and have specialized 16-bit memory slots? A few oddball PC near clones tried that. I can't quickly find anything about the earliest Leading Edge machines. If it doesn't have special memory slots, I suspect that it will run with any standard 8-bit...
  5. K

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

Intel made a lot of very good motherboards but complete systems were not available under the Intel name in the US. So seeing Win 3.1 inside an Intel box is a bit of a surprise. I hope whoever buys the disks archives any Intel specific files.
  6. K

Anyone who has built up a microchannel system with sound, compact flash, ethernet, etc., was it worth it?

I had one of those Ultimedia systems IBM offered in the 90s. Model 77 IIRC. It was adequate to the task. Much of the PS/2 lineup wasn't quite to the standard one expected from IBM. The tower cases were a joy to work with. What went into those cases was underdeveloped with SIMM sockets that...
  7. K

How to use floppy drive cleaning disks?

Checking the read/write heads after repeated uses of a cleaning disk is a good idea. It may be that grunge has built up on the sides of the head. The cleaning disk won't remove it. The effect is like running a plow over the disk and anything loose will join the buildup of material. There was...
  8. K

Reorganization of 'Genres' Category

I think the company list would be for companies that largely didn't share technology with competitors or clones while the technology groupings would include many tiny companies that all built off a relatively similar set of reference designs. No forum design will make everyone happy but this...
  9. K

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

The retail boxed Corel SCSI 2 has 5 DOS/Windows disks plus an extra disk for OS/2. The only obvious element missing from the PD version is a set of SCSI scanner tools. I could check the disk contents and see what else is missing from PDSCSI. I presume PD was for the improved phase change...
  10. K

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

The CorelSCSI version 2 I have has tools for DOS, Windows 3, and OS/2. There are probably differences between each. I remember the online help was great, The manual is proving a lot less impressive. Note that there were cut down versions licensed to various OEMs.
  11. K

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

IIRC, replacing the BIOS with an actual IBM BIOS would allow the diagnostics to run on an exact clone. Disassembling the diagnostic software to see what it is checking for and fixing that would allow for the diagnostic to run on many clones with their installed BIOS. IBM frequently only checked...
  12. K

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

CorelSCSI includes an application SCSITools that will test various SCSI devices and media. It might not meet all your needs but disks for it are very common. I just couldn't find the manual to verify that before.
  13. K

IBM TopView?

Originally. TV was a planned mainframe interface. IBM did show off some interesting graphical applications, sort of prototype multimedia projects, created in a later revision of the TV code never released to the public. TV hit the same problem that the other multi-taskers that tried putting DOS...
  14. K

Reorganization of 'Genres' Category

I thought the idea was to have topics of roughly equal posting rate. If a company doesn't get much attention here, then combining it with many other companies that don't inspire interest makes sense. The genres list already has numerous virtual ghost towns.
  15. K

Color of healthkit h89

I think there were a number of slight variations of the grey used with later systems going with a darker shade. Makes it a bit hard to point to a specific color match.
  16. K

IBM TopView?

I tried looking up if IBM did a VGA compliant upgrade to TopView but couldn't find one. TV should work in text mode even with the NuXT's SVGA mode but you might be the first to try. Be bold; be prepared to fail. Note that TV is a challenge to use without a mouse. The keyboard commands are...
  17. K

Core2Duo vs. Pentium D?

The cooler supplied with my 1366 systems was the size of a grapefruit. Grossly oversized for the actual power consumption.
  18. K

Okidata gm 3305hu 5 1/4 disk drive problem

Jumpering for Drive B will permit a drive to work as drive A on a PC style system. Jumpering for Drive A will not permit the drive to work as Drive A in the PC. This is the source of the vast majority of working drives failing when moved from non-PC to PC systems. Confirming the jumpers are set...
  19. K

Quality Difference Between TRS-80 Models?

One weakness with the Model I was the expansion interface and the ribbon cable that connected to the main system. That can be fairly flakey.
  20. K

Okidata gm 3305hu 5 1/4 disk drive problem

On an IBM PC, all drives need their jumpers set to the second position, traditionally, Drive B. The twist in the cable fixes the drive letter. Is the working drive the drive that was Drive B: in the Kaypro? If so, then just swap the jumper on the other drive. Remember to set it back before...
Back