• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

Recommendations for affordable computer/tablet mathematical software

Calculator style software has been going through a trend of large visual buttons with only a small effective target which results in my frequently missing the button. I have been using emulations of older calculators since while the visual buttons appears smaller, the actual target is larger...
  2. K

SimpleWin demo for Windows 2

I thought I had passed this on when I provided a collection of Windows 2 shareware and demos. It is a simple file manager and program launcher. The demo is virtually useless, only displaying a message box announcing its demo status when an attempt is made to launch on application. Anyone that...
  3. K

Okna Desktop

The version of Okna Desktop I have is a Windows 3 application so a new thread for it. The manuals were for Windows 2 and some interesting features were dropped in the transition. The Windows 2 version had a quick launch menu added to the MSDOS Exec and a file viewer was added to handle large...
  4. K

Windows 2.x odd software

This post is a space holder until I get a couple of photos transferred over of some lesser known Windows 2 software. The products planned for inclusion are Macrocalc - a programmable and graphing calculator emulator that handles most of the functions available to HP calculators made before...
  5. K

Does anyone know anything about Advance86 BASIC?

I have been trying to run the demo program for the Genie 16 (the Advance 86 as sold in Germany) under GWBASIC and running into errors. The SCREEN function that causes the error seems to work on its own so I am a bit confused. So does anyone know of any alterations Advance made to their BASIC...
  6. K

Looking for source code from Kilobaud Magazine.

Does anyone know of a source for source code presented in Kilobaud or Microcomputing magazine? While I could retype it, the online copies are a challenge to read. The actual article I am looking for is David Cortesi's text editor written in IBM BASIC. If you know of another short simple text...
  7. K

Was Access Softek Prompt copyprotected?

I have an install disk for Access Softek's Prompt. The Windows 2 subdirectory copies with ease. The Windows 3 subdirectory prevents copying of the main executable. Before I run through all the techniques for trying to recover a bad disk, I figured I would check if anyone knows if it had copy...
  8. K

Looking for a Toshiba 5.25" floppy drive maintainance manual.

I am having problems with a Toshiba FDD 5425A0N. I intend on looking through the innards to see if I can locate the problem but I prefer doing that with a manual for guidance. Any links would be appreciated. All my searches have been swamped by documentation on Toshiba laptops.
  9. K

AMD 486DX4-133 External Bus Speed

Do you have an actual DX4-133 or do you have a DX5-133? There was a DX4-120 which tried to have the bus speed at 40 MHz; that was the fastest of the clock triples I know of. The X5 run at 4 times the bus speed so the bus speed should be 33 MHz. A fairly complete list of AMD 486 variants is at...
  10. K

Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 laptop

I recently picked up a Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 laptop and rather to my surprise it all works (except for the battery). Anyone have any tips or care techniques for it? I know the CD-ROM drive is weird and can not be replaced with anything standard. Is the floppy drive also unique to the design...
  11. K

Alaris COUGAR 486BL keyboard buffer filling up

I have a tower system with the Alaris Cougar 486BL motherboard. Quite like it except that sometimes it stops accepting keystrokes and makes beeps suggesting that the keyboard buffer has filled up. I have removed keyboard adapter and KVM switch and changed keyboards. What else should I check?
  12. K

HP 2600fx optical disk drive

I picked up a HP 2600fx optical disk drive. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings about this device. I have yet to hook it up but I think I will try to avoid problems if I can. Not something I consider vintage but still more than 15 years old has to count for something.
  13. K

Kodak 5.25" drives -- QNX had a driver for it

Several years ago, there were several threads regarding the higher capacity (about 3MB) Kodak 5.25" disks. While looking for other things, I happened on a link to a 1985 driver for handling these drives. It probably isn't too much interest but increased my knowledge about the drive. So I'm...
  14. K

Does a Virtual Machine supporting writing through a serial port?

This is a non-vintage question but relates to vintage software. I know VMWare (amongst others) claims to allow the guest software to write through a serial port. Does anyone have experience doing that with older software? I imaged some roughly 25 year old MS-DOS software before discovering it...
  15. K

Looking for information on jumper settings for Epson SD-600 floppy drive

I have an Epson SD-600 and realized that it has 4 sets of jumper blocks plus several sets of solder pads. I can't find any online reference to what those jumpers do so if anyone has one, I would appreciate seeing it. I probably won't change the jumpers ever but it might be handy to have the...
  16. K

BIOS issue with Micron Pentium-90

I have been trying to add a 5.25" floppy to a Pentium-90 tower. The tower itself has a EISA/PCI motherboard. The BIOS will not allow me to change the values for floppy drives installed. However, I can set and save a supervisor password so that the BIOS will allow some updating. What should I...
  17. K

How to identify format of 5.25" disk

I received a group of 5.25" disks all supposedly created on the same computer. I have been able to read some but others are not showing up as valid disks. Is there any simple way to determine if the unreadable disks have an unconventional format as opposed to alignment issues or disk damage...
  18. K

Question on IBM JX floppy disks

I have been working with a number of older disk formats and researching some other formats just to find out what I won't be able to read. The IBM JX in its earlier configuration had drives described as 360kB 3.5" but how the disks were formatted differs in the accounts I have read. I don't need...
  19. K

Help in identifying old floppy disk design

With all the discussion of old floppy designs, I was reminded of one I can't recognize. The following image was on a site devoted to the Hungarian floppy of about 3" but this image shows 4 different floppies: the standard 3.5", the 3" commonly used by Amstrad, and the red labeled Hungarian...
  20. K

New manufactured USB floppy drives don't read 720kB floppies.

I just picked up a Sabrent labeled USB floppy drive. The bottom of the drive claims that the drive is a FD-05PUB with a date of Jan 2011. I have had other FD-05PUB that would read 720kB floppies; this new one won't. Contacted customer support and they confirm that the drive will only read 1.44MB...
Back