• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

Announcing RetroChallengeRetry 2020/04

The last retrochallenge (2019/10) fizzled out with no results. I've decided to start my own to fill the void of 2020/04. In the age of social distancing, we all need something to do. Rules are similar. I am adding an optional theme of time travel. Put your anachronistic hardware together...
  2. C

WTB Daisy wheel printer or electronic typewriter SF eastbay

one project idea I've had for a while is making a printing serial terminal similar to an old teletype. I need either a working daisy wheel printer, or an electronic typewriter. I know a lot of electric typewriters are purely mechanical... I need one that is microprocessor controlled... one...
  3. C

Thanks for VCF West 2018

I had a great time. Thanks to everyone for putting on a good event!
  4. C

Sanyo MSX schematics?

Anyone know where I can find a schematic for a MSX HPC-27 or HPC SPC? It was made by Sanyo and was called the Sanno Primary Computer. It is a MSX 1.0 machine. Or anything similar by Sanyo. Thanks!
  5. C

How does Downland get a black background in graphics mode?

I must be missing something, because on the CoCo, in 4 color graphics mode, the manual says I get the color palettes green/yellow/blue/red OR buff/cyan/magenta/orange. How does download get a palette of black/blue/white/orange in graphics. Is there an address I can poke in basic that changes...
  6. C

Https recently broken on site?

I know for a long time, this site had no https support. Somewhat recently, you could put https:// in the browser, and this site would work, just some some browser warnings about some of the content not be encrytped, that's fine. I mostly just care about PASSWORD, I don't care about someone...
  7. C

enable 486 write-back cache via dos command line?

I've had a motherboard for some time that is quite stubborn. Even tough the BIOS is set to 'write back', when I'm in DOS I find that CHKCPU reports the cache is disabled. There is a cache utility I've been using ICE.EXE, which turns on the internal cache, but then CHKCPU reports write through...
  8. C

CC-Kermit connectivity troubles to linux kermit, hyperterminal/windows OK

Hi! I use CC-Kermit 1.1 on my CoCo2 thru a 3-wire serial cable to my PC to transfer files. I don't do this very often, but when I try to use Kermit from linux it always fails. I fuss around with it for a while, then give up, boot into Windows, and do a flawless Kermit transfer thru...
  9. C

How important are Z80-specific instructions?

I have gotten interested in CP/M lately, and might build something, so I'm looking at the 8085, which should run 8080 code just fine. The Z80 was another popular choice, but had enhanced instructions. How much software out there depends on the Z80? Would an 808x be 'crippled' in any way?
  10. C

VCF West Thanks Everyone

A big thanks to everyone who organized and attended VCF West! I met a bunch of new people and learned a lot about systems I've never seen before.
  11. C

HP 9830A printer interface protocol?

Does anyone have any info on the protocol? I got given one of these, and everything seems to work (didn't test cassette player yet), but it doesn't have the optional printer. If the protocol is simple enough, I would like to program a microcontroller to emulate the printer, and output over...
  12. C

What happened to the 'coming soon' BBS?

Just wondering. Want to telnet in from my terribly old computers :-)
  13. C

TV Typewriter font bitpatterns?

I built an COSMAC ELF-like computer around an 1802, and want to create a standalone serial terminal for it. I could reuse an existing computer, even my old CoCo2. But I'm interested in using an AVR microcontroller and outputing to a TV, based off another project I once built. When I research...
  14. C

browsing this site on mobile?

I find this site painful to navigate on my phone. The font is too small and zooming leads to lots of swiping. But I still do it becausr I'm obsessed with computer stuff. Is there any hope of getting a mobile layout for this site?
  15. C

Any disk utility to copy files across disks with only 1 drive?

Now that I have my CoCo working again, I'm an trying to figure something out. I only have 1 floppy drive. How do I copy a single file from one disk to another without a second drive? I want something like MS-DOS xcopy, which asks to switch disks back and forth. There's the BACKUP command...
  16. C

CoCo FD-502 Floppy Problems

Ok, so I found thr problem. This 'C' shape was in the way. I didn't notice it until I tool the disk out and started loolong at how it steps in and out. It works now, but now I have an extra piece. Where does it go? I end way too many of my projects with a piece left over.
  17. C

CoCo FD-502 Floppy Problems

I got my CoCo2 out of garage storage and back on my desk. The FD-502 can't read anything! I can't even DSKINI any disks. If I remove the cover, when I DSKINI I see the head count out about 15 times, then it seems to hit the mechanical stop, and then jams against the stop for the rest of the...
  18. C

Tube computer size: ENIAC vs Bendix G15

My dad mentioned to me the first computer he used was a Bendix G15. I looked it up, and was surprised it was vacuum tube based, given its small size. Huge by today's standards, but when I think about vacuum tube computers, I think of building sized computers like ENIAC. the ENIAC is usually...
  19. C

Saw some microvaxes on ebay buy it now cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DIGITAL-MICROVAX-3100-MODEL-WORK-STATION-SERVER-CPU-KA41-32MB-RAM-/302156081196?hash=item4659e7e82c:g:6mMAAOSwu1VW6hZM $89 doesn't seem bad when I consider what I've seen other DEC stuff run. I've never played with a VAX or VMS, so this might be interesting...
  20. C

How do you organize your stuff while keeping it accessible/usable?

My collection isn't that big, but I'm already out of desk space. I'm thinking of making a short rack, and repacking my current modern computer, my k6-2+ (which is in an ugly clone case) and my 486 (which is already in another clone case) into 3U or 4U boxes. If I do this, packs up my bulky...
Back