• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. V

Retrocomputing Archive

Hi. I attempted to email Gene of the Retrocomputing Archive and his email was returned. The site shows geneb@deltasoft.com I've emailed him in the past. Is he still accepting contributions? I have some rare commercial CP/M goodies for the Kaypro that are not listed on his site Chris
  2. V

How to share some MBASIC-80 programs

Hi! I've been brushing up on my MBASIC and developed some interesting programs. One is a hurricane tracking tool that provides a projected path storms/hurricanes on an ASCII map with a range of relevant data, save/load data, etc. It also afjusts the track based on the influence of nearby...
  3. V

FreHD and Kaypro II/IV Z80 piggy back

I am obviously late to the Kaypro FreHD party but spent sometime last night reading an earlier, very comprehensive (and sometimes confusing) thread on the Kaypro and FreHD. I was unable to find a schematic or detailed information on the Z80 "piggy back" board to interface the Kaypro II-83 or...
  4. V

Astec Power Supply Issue... I am stumped!

I have been working on two Astec Kaypro power supplies (AA12450 and AA12350) on and off for the better part of a year or so. I simply cannot get them working! Both units have been totally recapped, resistors checked, and I even replaced all the transistors to include the power transistor...
  5. V

WTS: 8 bit 1.44 Floppy Controller Card DTK MINI MICRO FDC PII-151B

I've had this card for sometime and figure it could be used for someone's restoration/rebuild project. This is a DTK 8 bit MINI MICRO FDC PII-151B floppy controller card. It supports 1.44MB, 1.2MB, 720KB, and 360KB floppy drives. This will permit you to use high density floppy drives in your...
  6. V

WTB: 386DX or SX Computer (desktop or tower)

Of course! It is an Intel (yes manufactured by Intel) 386/16 SYP-301 from 1987/1988. This is a rather uncommon computer; very little documentation available on the Internet. I will be adding a 1.44 and 1.2 floppy drive. Hard drive will be a 60MB MFM. The computer is built like a tank and in...
  7. V

WTB: 386DX or SX Computer (desktop or tower)

Hi! I am looking to purchase a functioning clone or brand name 386SX or DX computer for my collection: desktop or tower and any processor speed. I have no specific hardware requirements. Thank you, Chris
  8. V

WTB: CP/M Random House Electronic Thesaurus

Hello. I still use my Kaypro and other CP/M computers for occasional word processing (I love WordStar) and am looking for a copy of Random House Thesaurus for CP/M. This was a real nifty utility and quite ahead of its time--very useful! Anyone have a copy they'd like to sell? Thank you! Chris
  9. V

CPU clock speed display for AT style case

I've come across two makers of the LED boards. Mine were made by "Hu's" and include a 2.5 digit display (s-305H) and two digit display (S-305). Jumpers are very similar for the two with the exception that the S-305H has an additional column for hundreds. Anyway, here is a scan of the instructions.
  10. V

CPU clock speed display for AT style case

I have a three digit (1xx) clock speed display that has several segments not functioning (yes, the jumpers are set correctly). Does anyone know a source for these boards/displays? I guess I could replace the three digit on the board with some patience and carefully soldering, but finding a...
  11. V

Need some wiring help with monitor stand and surge protector

Let me preface: please don't try this at home! Okay, I figured it out!!! I had to draw a diagram to figure this mess out. The wiring color for the switches was throwing me off--I had to recall that line is "in" and load is "out". The switches' line-lite (green color in picture) goes to...
  12. V

Need some wiring help with monitor stand and surge protector

Hi. I recently pick-up a monitor stand (Porta Micro Mate) made in the 80s by SOS computers that was designed for the Commodore 64 and Kaypro computer. It is very functional but the surge protector and switches were not wired at all (appears someone disassembled the stand at some point and...
  13. V

Packard Bell Computers

I'm a Kaypro and CP/M guy, but I've recently been bit by the Packard Bell bug--one would be nice for my fledgling 8088 and x86 collection. I've been tracking Packard Bell 386 and 486 computers on EBay and prices seem to be going up based on some of the closing prices; like all 386s and 486s...
  14. V

For sale: Kaypro IIX

I have decided to sell an extra Kaypro IIX that has been in my collection for a few years now and kept as a spare. I'm going to try to describe every detail to avoid any suprises: This is a later Kaypro IIX with the internal modem (300 baud), universal ROM, serial/parallel printer ports...
  15. V

Wanted: Kaypro 2/84 (not the II/83)

Hello all! I am looking for a rather elusive model Kaypro: The Kaypro 2/84 (not the earlier II/83). This is the the Kaypro "2" with the SS/DD half-height drives and a newer mainboard. Among several differences, the II/83 had full height single sided drives. It is also sometime confused with...
  16. V

Kaypro II restoration almost done!

I picked up a dusty and dirty Kaypro II sometime ago on eBay for around $30.00 less shipping. It was in excellent cosmetic shape but had several electrical issues and some defective ICs. I installed all new electrolytic capacitors in the video and power supply boards (several were leaky)...
  17. V

Kaypro 10 is alive!

All is well! The ST-225 was a great replacement for the original ST-212 10MB that was in my Kaypro 10--and it is FAR more quiet! I ran FORMAT06.COM on the CP/M 2.2H #1 reload disk; about 19 bad blocks were found. The Kaypro 10 is loading its software to the HD at the moment. I didn't realize...
  18. V

Kaypro 10 ST-212 drive failed... but all is good (hopefully)

I recently was working on the my Kaypro 10. I had to swap out the 5.25 DSDD floppy from the 10 into my Kaypro IIX (the IIX had a failed A: Epson drive and the 10's Epson floppy drive matched). I picked up a DSDD floppy drive on "ePay" and installed it in the 10. Well, I powered the 10 and my...
  19. V

Three lead capacitor mystery - IBM 6448800XM

Hello. I just received an IBM 6448800XM ISA serial/parallel card from ePay and I noticed that one of the ceramic (mica?) capacitors were broken in half. The capacitor looks like a standard ceramic or perhaps mica-dipped capacitor, but it has three leads; the capacitor is labeled "10-16" with a...
  20. V

Wanted: XT clone or 286/AT Era Case

Hi. I am assembling a "period" 286 computer and need a 286/AT style or even a XT clone case (not the later 386/486 and later cases). "Mint" is not a requirement, but I am looking for a respectable example (with or without PS) Thanks, Chris
Back