• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. O

WTB: Apple IIe keyswitches and caps or a junk keyboard

I posted about this awhile back, but I accidentally put it in the 'for sale' section so it didn't get much response. I have a IIe enhanced (later style, but not Platinum) with this type of keys/switches: I am missing the 4, 5, 6 and 8 keys, and the little '+' parts of those switch posts are...
  2. O

386DX-40 mid-tower system

I'm starting to clean out some of my extraneous stuff to regain a bit of shelf space, and since I don't really use this thing anymore, it's time for it to find a new home. As the title indicates, it is a 386DX/40. The case is one of those generic Taiwanese jobs, nothing fancy and it's not in...
  3. O

On drive overlays and cloned images

Though the basic architecture it uses is nothing particularly unusual (486SX/25, LSI/Headland chipset, Cirrus GD6420 video, PC87311A I/O controller), the actual setup of the thing is completely proprietary. Here's the main board: It uses a socketed BIOS chip (which may even be an EEPROM), but...
  4. O

On drive overlays and cloned images

My actual question is pretty simple, but first I should probably give a bit of background to fully explain the rather unusual situation I'm facing. I recently got an HP Internet Advisor... one of those network analyzer laptops. It contains all sorts of specialized hardware related to the network...
  5. O

Need some keys for an Apple IIe

It's just a regular beige one (or at least it was, until some clown painted it). Here's a picture of the situation. Pardon the dust bunnies... it's my first 8-bit Apple machine, so I've been too busy playing with it to get around to cleaning it up yet.
  6. O

Need some keys for an Apple IIe

I've just acquired an enhanced IIe, but the keyboard is in rather rough shape... the 4, 5, 6, and 8 keys are missing, and the stalks are broken off of the switches. I'd expected such parts to be pretty common on eBay, at least they were not too long ago, but there don't seem to be any listings...
  7. O

Your most Frankensteined computer?

I was going through some old backups and came across a picture of my old main desktop, from late 2010 or early 2011. I guess it would count as 'Frankensteined', though I always just called it 'ghetto'. That's an eMachines case, which also happened to have an eMachines motherboard, but it was...
  8. O

Questions about a Bernoulli 90 drive

I just picked up one of these drives off eBay, one of the later 5.25" external "Transportable" type. I know very little about these things, and in fact I've never even actually seen one in operation, so there are a couple things I'd like to have clarified before I go about trying to use it...
  9. O

Possible to hack the SCSI ID on external Zip drives?

I recently picked up a couple external SCSI Zip drives, with the idea of using them as boot drives for some of my old machines. Unfortunately, there's a troublesome little detail that I'd forgotten about these drives... they only have two settings, ID5 or ID6. For use as a regular external...
  10. O

Vertical height adjustment on the Amiga 1080 monitor

After replacing some caps and touching up a whole bunch of cracked solder joints, I've finally managed to resurrect my 1080 monitor. In fact, it's working quite well... nice sharp picture, all the inputs work, and I even did a couple little mods (described here) which are supposed to fix some...
  11. O

Clearing out misc PC mobos and parts, 286/486/Pentium/etc.

In preparation for a full reorganization/remodeling of my computer room, I have started to do a purge on my parts stash. Over time, I've ended up with a bunch of extra parts that are either redundant, or that I simply lost interest in playing with. I'm not a collector, so I don't like having...
  12. O

Any tips on transferring a file to an A500?

I've been going by the guide here, trying to get transwarp over to my A500 using a null modem and the TYPE command, but I have been unable to find any success. The best I've gotten is that something transferred, but it always comes up with a "file is not an object" error. I've tried a couple...
  13. O

3.5" HH to 5.25" HH mounting adapters?

I've been pawing through my box full of drive adapters, trying to figure out how to mount this old Quantum SCSI drive into my PC6300 XT. It's a 3.5" drive, but it's half-height, rather than the 1" low-profile of most 3.5" drives. Partly because of the fact that it's taller than other 3.5"...
  14. O

Need help identifying this strange ISA I/O card

I was at a computer show this past weekend, and amongst some other things I picked up this interesting I/O card. Pictures attached below, apologies for the poor quality. According to the markings it's an Image Data EXP-1, but despite extensive searching I can find no information about it...
  15. O

Free PDP 11/34 on Chicago CL

Not my ad, but I figured it worth passing along the info since there's a few DEC fanatics on here. Link.
  16. O

Looking for a 720KB 3.5" floppy drive

As the title says, anyone have a spare they'd be willing to part with for a low price? I know the things aren't exactly common, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I've given up hope trying to get an HD drive to work in my particular XT machine, it just doesn't get along with add-in floppy...
  17. O

Curious about the Future Domain TMC-860

I ran across one of these cards on eBay. It caught my eye because I've been looking for an 8-bit SCSI card, and I'd heard the Future Domain 850 cards were decent options. The thing I'm unsure about though, and what's been holding me back from buying it, is the fact that it's keyed for a 16-bit...
  18. O

FS: newer AMD AM2 mobo, dual-core CPU and heatsink

Edit: Sold locally, will delete this as soon as I figure out how.
  19. O

Need help with a PC6300 memory expansion card

So I'm in the process of setting up and 'hotrodding' an AT&T PC 6300 I have. Most things are going smoothly, but I'm a bit hung up on the extended memory board I have for it. It's the AST-made "512k/2MB" board. I have just the bare card, plus a few RAM chips that will work with it, but I don't...
  20. O

Greetings from Sunny Florida

Hello all. I've been a lurker here for several months, but I finally felt prompted to join today. I'm perhaps a comparative newcomer to the computer hobby, I didn't really develop an interest until the early '90s, when I acquired, and subsequently began tweaking and upgrading, a secondhand 286...
Back