• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. antiquekid3

VT100 Video Output Problem

Unless I missed it, what are your voltage rails measuring?
  2. antiquekid3

What is this?

FIDIA made CNC machines, so that would be my bet.
  3. antiquekid3

baking TKx0 tapes

If one had access to a vacuum oven, I would think that would work very well and would allow for reduced temperature if you pulled enough vacuum, yes? Long enough bake time should help reduce air circulation requirements since the pressure is so low. Any idea if this has been tried?
  4. antiquekid3

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

I like the reed switch panel other than the fact that the switch can turn continuously, 360° and more. Just a funny quirk of it.
  5. antiquekid3

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

The one with reed switches is the earlier one. I think I have one of each. The front panel graphics do differ between the two to get the angles correct, as Doug brought up.
  6. antiquekid3

orange tantalum (?) caps in DEC equipment

Are there corresponding polarity markings on the PCB that I'm missing as well?
  7. antiquekid3

Yes. A big difference is that there are no markings for polarity on the ones pictured. In my experience, those surface mount caps pictured are either good or very obviously bad. And a shorted tantalum will make itself known as soon as it catches fire and explodes off the board—at least in my...
  8. antiquekid3

Out of curiosity, how did you determine the caps need to be replaced?
  9. antiquekid3

H758-a Schematic

Al beat me to it. Looks like the regulator board was used in the TU60 as well if I'm understanding it correctly. http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/unibus/DH11_EngrDrws_Jul76.pdf
  10. antiquekid3

OS/8 running on a PDP-8/L with 8KW memory and a non-standard mass storage device.

Since it's only a DTXA rather than a DTCA DTXA, it will XOR the GO bit with 1, which was presumably set already, thus clearing it and only it. Without looking at it further, I'm not sure why they don't just clear all of register A if they want to stop it and return.
  11. antiquekid3

OS/8 questions

If you get SerialDisk running on your system, you can watch all of the transactions taking place in real time on the server side. I don't have a running system in front of me to show that at the moment, unfortunately.
  12. antiquekid3

Me and my pdp-8/L

Yeah, that's the one!
  13. antiquekid3

Me and my pdp-8/L

You may want to confirm that the 74LS family is acceptable for replacing all of the dead 74 family chips you find. My recollection is that there are some cases where only a plain 7474, for instance, will work. Factors include switching speed and the actual internal circuit of the flip-flop, in...
  14. antiquekid3

PDP-8/I at the RICM

Those diodes seem to be a weak point in those power supplies...
  15. antiquekid3

Ultimate PDP-8 ideas thread

Definitely not shooting anyone here; I was referencing this: https://github.com/emacs-evil/evil I'm sure I'd get used to TECO and emacs if I forced myself to learn them, but in the meantime, I just force myself to use EDIT under OS/8. It's pretty bad, but not awful. I do wish it didn't have...
  16. antiquekid3

I'm not aware of many vi users willing to use emacs, but I'm at least aware of some "evil" emacs users who prefer vi key bindings. :)
  17. antiquekid3

I don't think so, but that wasn't the intent. Vince has already started the process of cataloging software in this way, but not using a PDP-8 to do so. No, as we have discussed, the handlers are not educated enough to handle errors. I would think an improvement could be made with the DECtape...
  18. antiquekid3

Well, sure enough! Good to know this idea has more than just merit!
  19. antiquekid3

That was in my original list, and I'm a strong supporter of it. My idea would be an intelligent PLL (so probably a simple microcontroller) that looks at the incoming pattern and detects if it's a 12 or 16 sector pack. If it's a 16 sector, it passes the original hard sector and index pulses...
Back