• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

11/84+rc25+ts05+rx02 or 11/84+rc25+tu81

User78

Experienced Member
Hi Forum,

I can pick up one of the above systems each for the same price and need to decide which one it is.

Both are completely equipped with all needed stuff and all cables.

I would like to run in a first step any available DEC OS RT11, xxdp, or ... and in the next step BSD.

So the main question is TS05 or TU81?

Many Greetings
Ulrich

So the main question is TS05 or TU81?

The main difference is speed and tape density. The TU81 can read and write both 1600bpi and 6250bpi tapes. The TS05 can only do 1600bpi. Of course, the TS05 is also much more compact.

Do you intend to use the tape drive a lot, e.g. to read a large tape collection for archival in other formats? If so, an RC25 probably isn't going to cut it (if it even works).

Hi Uniballer,

I personally would prefer the TU81, as from what I have read in the meantime, it has a good support. (it is not the plus version, also without cache, ...)
The weight is a point, why I think about, as it needs to be bring down into the basement.

The RC25 is not my preferred drive, but the system is in this configuration, and it make no sense to split them.
I have an RK07 and the RK611, so maybe I attach them to the 11/84 instead on the 11/34.

I have nothing to archive, all is only for "fun", to feed my interest, and to learn about the good old irons.

Many Greetings
Ulrich

Last edited:
I would vote for an 11/84+rc25+ts05+rx02
Why? your comment "all is only for "fun"". I think the rx02 will add more fun. I am baised though - I dont own an TU81 but I do own a ts05.

Also the ts05 is about the size of an rl01/2 so is luggable in a way the TU81 is not.
With the TS05, you get almost 10meg of data on a wee tape - it is not enuf to make a huge backup but it is enuf to check out your engineering skills and have fun with the "old irons".

I'd make sure you get the RX02 as it's probably the cheapest media to find, plus you can use vtserver to put XXDP diagnostics onto RX02 disks. You can also run RT11 directly from the RX02s.

If you're wanting to run 2.11BSD, you will probably eventually want to find a bigger hard disk. A MSCP-compatible interface to SMD or ESDI would probably be the cheapest/easiest to get going. I've heard that Unibus SCSI boards exist, but they're probably super expensive.

disks

disks

I'd make sure you get the RX02 as it's probably the cheapest media to find, plus you can use vtserver to put XXDP diagnostics onto RX02 disks. You can also run RT11 directly from the RX02s.

If you're wanting to run 2.11BSD, you will probably eventually want to find a bigger hard disk. A MSCP-compatible interface to SMD or ESDI would probably be the cheapest/easiest to get going. I've heard that Unibus SCSI boards exist, but they're probably super expensive.

You might be a purist and not like this suggestion, but SCSI2SD is a phenominal wee card. Fits on a SCSI disk controller and allows you to e,g, take images from SIMH etc and blast them out to an SD card. I *THINK* I heard the card was $60-80 from the USA. I paid rather more for mine from Australia.

A few of us have been running these for some time.

If you have a RQDX type card then djgs MFM emulator at http://www.pdp8.net/mfm/dip_board/dip_board.shtml is also a neat bag of tricks.

I did basically the same thing on my QBus 11/73 with an Emulex SCSI card and 3.5" magneto-optical drive. I've heard of people using SCSI Zip drives too. Aside from being able to dump SIMH/Ersatz-11 disk images to the drives from your modern PC, all of these solutions give you a swappable mass storage drive you can use as a root disk for most (all?) DEC operating systems. Like an RL01/02 drive but tiny and easier to find media!

But, it looks like Unibus SCSI controllers are around $1000 USD! Probably much cheaper to find a non-DEC SMD or ESDI setup.

Hi,

I have an UDA50 and also some Emulex SMD controller, both where included in my last pick up.
Also included in both configurations is a bare Fujitsu SMD dual Drive, so maybe the space problem can be solved.

I have also an RX02 drive, but a first diagnostics has shown an error on the drive PCB. (Unibus Controller seems to be OK)
Maybe I have the possibility to get another RX02, as they are really cheap in my region. (all other stuff mostly not)

An SCSI interface would be the great, and is in some cases also not too expensive. (depends on the seller and luck)

I think, it will be the TU81 bundle, and I try to buy a separate RX02, as I find the TU81 in his Rack fits perfectly to the RK07 Racks.
The next TU81 in Europe costs 400 Euro and is 1200km away.

Another point for the TU81 is, that I have spare LESI PCB's, so I can also use it on my /34. The TS05 looks like a Pertec interface, which is not easy to find.

Many Greetings
Ulrich

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm back with a full car. It was a nice trip, with overall 1.600 km.

I was able to get an 11/84, TU81, RC25, RL01, TS05, RX02 and an SMD Drive and three Racks.

Also Media (RL,RC,Tape) is included, so now I have a good starter set, to go forward.

Big problem was the fact, that all needs to be placed in the basement, so I was searching for an tool, as all my helper where on leave.
I have found a nice electrical ?dolly? which was useful to get the stuff down the stairs.

https://youtu.be/yLCaVzX8bEw

So looks like I have some work to do for the next weeks, to get all cleaned, completed and tested.
IMG_1880.jpgIMG_1881.jpg

Many Greetings
Ulrich

Hi Mattis,

I hope all is well!

Yes, it was the second system, which was available to buy. But I had an eye on the TU81 which was the reason for me to buy the other configuration.
I was also able to get an TS05/RX02/RL01, only an Pertec controller and the RL0x/RK0x Connection Bracket is missing right now, and prevents me to use my RK's/RL's and the TS05.

Maybe you know the seller, he is located in Greifswald, and has a huge amount of stuff/collection. (Huge amount means much more, I have ever seen in my life)

Many Greetings
Ulrich

Last edited:
Hi All;

User78, Congratulations..

"" only an Pertec controller ""

Could You Please provide a picture of the Pertec Controller Board(s)..
I have a Pertec Controller boards and I am not sure If I have everything and/or what slots they go in..
So, I am curious if Yours are same or different than what I have..

THANK YOU Marty

Back