• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

128D / 1571 Drive issue

Darshevo

Experienced Member
I finally scored a 128D after months of ebay bidding and losing. As posted in another thread it came to me just rattling around loose in a cadrboard box. I am 'pretty sure' when it arrived I tested the floppy by loading a program (90% sure I didn't just dream about doing it)

I moved it from one end of the table to its permanent home and now when a disk is inserted and access it makes a relatively loud rubbing noise and a but of a squeal. It does load and run properly, just very very noisy. I pulled the disk out that I was using and found it to have a rub mark on the media itself in the opening where the drive reads the disk. Oddly the drive continues to run until the door is opened, but it apparantly isn't moving the disk itself as the rub mark is right there (only tried it on 1 otther disk as I do not want to damage them)

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Also, in the way olden days (like back when a commodore 64 was on the desk in many homes as the personal computer being used, not admired or collected) I had a white card that was meant to be used in the drive when it was in transit. I found out at a young age that inserting that card into a drive that had troubles would solve them about 75% of the time. If anyone has a full size scan of one of these cards I could get to make another it would be greatly appreciated.

-Lance

The white card was used to move the head to known track (I don't know if it is the track 0 or the track 18)
The fact was that the drive get lost in half tracks very easy (what a stupid failure). If the head stoped in the blank space betwen tracks, the track position is not long avaible to the DOS system and the disk hangs every time you try something because it doesn't know where it is really.
The white card moves the head to a full track where the DOS can read its number and take reference.
It was a common failure of the 1541.

But you seem to have a mechanical issue .... Can you swap the drive mecha with a donor 1571 ?.

Pedro

I finally scored a 128D after months of ebay bidding and losing. As posted in another thread it came to me just rattling around loose in a cadrboard box. I am 'pretty sure' when it arrived I tested the floppy by loading a program (90% sure I didn't just dream about doing it)

I moved it from one end of the table to its permanent home and now when a disk is inserted and access it makes a relatively loud rubbing noise and a but of a squeal. It does load and run properly, just very very noisy. I pulled the disk out that I was using and found it to have a rub mark on the media itself in the opening where the drive reads the disk. Oddly the drive continues to run until the door is opened, but it apparantly isn't moving the disk itself as the rub mark is right there (only tried it on 1 otther disk as I do not want to damage them)

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Also, in the way olden days (like back when a commodore 64 was on the desk in many homes as the personal computer being used, not admired or collected) I had a white card that was meant to be used in the drive when it was in transit. I found out at a young age that inserting that card into a drive that had troubles would solve them about 75% of the time. If anyone has a full size scan of one of these cards I could get to make another it would be greatly appreciated.

-Lance

If anyone has a full size scan of one of these cards I could get to make another it would be greatly appreciated.

-Lance

I was asking for the same thing back in the "way olden days".
See: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...4-floppy-disk-drive-protectors&highlight=card

Have a real good look inside that drive. I had a drive arrive with a strofoam peanut stuck in it near the drive motor and belt (under some clear plastic).
I don't think I could have put one in there without taking stuff apart, but that one worked its way in there somehow.

I don't have any donors available. I'm prolly going to pop the top off of it this weekend and have a look inside. Luckily 1571's don't sell for much on ebay so getting a new mech for it won't be too difficult. I assumed they were the same mechanically (the internal and the external) but I was unsure

-Lance

Back