• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1999 Dell XPS T550 issues.......

Ben96

I recently (about 4-5 months ago) purchased a computer of this model off of the internet. It needed a replacement CR-2032 CMOS battery, so I bought that, and put it in the computer. I had an HDD from 1996 with roughly 1.7GB capacity that I put inside it. The computer booted (partially), and acknowledged the HDD's presence/connection, but at the final phase of booting it said that there was no Operating System detected. What could be the problem? (Take note: I'm a 19-year-old college student, so I'm not very knowledgeable).

There is a jumper on your hard drive to select master, slave or cable select. Dell computers usually use cable select (CS) so check that. When you power on the computer, keep tapping the F2 key (most likely F2 ???) to get into the bios setup. See if your hard drive shows in one the menu listings. Look around in the menus and you might find a hard drive test you can run to see if at least the hard drive is ok. Hope that helps.

Larry G

Is there supposed to be a bootable operating system on the disk you installed? Just asking .. :)

Back