• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1TB of RAM

There are 48 RAM slots, and if it totalled 1Tb, then that means each chip is 21.33 GB? Am I doing the match wrong? I am thinking it's either 1.5Tb (32Gb sticks) or 768Gb of RAM (16Gb sticks). Either way, it's pretty damned impressive.

Then you have to consider the CPUs, supporting that much RAM means it's pretty cutting edge, so I am thinking high end Xeons. So it could be as many as 96 cores and 192 threads. That's a ton of processing power.

Yeah! With something like that, Windows X might almost feel as responsive as AmigaOS 4 running on 15 year old hardware!

I was working at <big server OEM> back in 2009, and they were just preparing to introduce a new massive 8-way server that had 64 RAM sockets. Loaded on up with (then-brand-new) 32 GB DIMMs - for 2 TB of RAM. Only had 64 GB of storage! (One 64 GB SSD.)

Our memory order from Micron was over $1 million. They threw in a USB flash drive. :-D (I seem to recall the DIMMs were somewhere north of $2000 each, and we ordered a few servers' worth.)

Nice! I've got a 2009-ish AMD Bulldozer workstation that supports 2x CPU packages and 256GB of RAM, not too surprising big servers now have more RAM than I have root disk in this machine :)

I was working at <big server OEM> back in 2009, and they were just preparing to introduce a new massive 8-way server that had 64 RAM sockets. Loaded on up with (then-brand-new) 32 GB DIMMs - for 2 TB of RAM. Only had 64 GB of storage! (One 64 GB SSD.)

Our memory order from Micron was over $1 million. They threw in a USB flash drive. :-D (I seem to recall the DIMMs were somewhere north of $2000 each, and we ordered a few servers' worth.)

Was this Xeon 7500 (Nehalem-EX)?

Last edited:
That looks to be an older FBDimm based server.

The current server I sell a lot of supports 1.54TB of ram (DDR4 LRDIMM) using 24 slots and 2 cpus. (Up to 14 cores per CPU).
I usually only sell it with 64 or 128gb installed.

Later,
dabone

Very useful for virtualisation infrastructure (thankfully VMware dropped vTax) and in-memory database applications.

Indeed this is the right place for this antiquated photograph.

My new workstation can take upto 2TB of RAM and using far fewer slots than shown above.

Just saying.

marcus

Was this Xeon 7500 (Nehalem-EX)?

It was indeed! We were prepping them for full production, and my team was in charge of getting some pre-production systems ready for demos, sending to software OEMs for testing, etc. So of course we had to do a "completely full" system, out of sheer curiosity.

It was indeed! We were prepping them for full production, and my team was in charge of getting some pre-production systems ready for demos, sending to software OEMs for testing, etc. So of course we had to do a "completely full" system, out of sheer curiosity.

Do you know why Intel's datasheet for Xeon 7500 don't officially list 4Gbit DDR3?

Back