• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

2.88 floppy diskette experiments?

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
So I found some cheap NIB 2.88 MB diskettes.
1518115_238404743005044_202659869_n.jpg

I was wondering if I could make a "refnostic" diskette (containing both the reference diskette and diagnostic diskette images on one 2.88). I'm assuming that it's most likely not possible? Unless it could be formatted with two 1.44 partitions.

Haven't seen it done but not that it'd be impossible. A bootloader that jumps to one of the images as a file could probably pull it off or even one of those vmlinux gz type booters although it'd take some time (and RAM) to extract the image before booting it.

Do you code much? It may not be that difficult to write a simple assembler bootloader in the bootsector then jump to the image location on the floppy depending on the selection the user makes, although again it's probably already written out there and simpler than that.

You can boot and run a scaled-down version of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 from a 2.88 MB floppy:

You might be able to use MagicISO or something similar to boot from an ISO.

Personal System/2s can't boot directly from CD-ROM unfortunately (of course you can boot to a CD-ROM from a diskette, but you're still technically booting from a diskette). There's a lot of little weird little hidden caveats on these computers.

You can boot and run a scaled-down version of Windows for Workgroups 3.11 from a 2.88 MB floppy:

Thanks, that's really cool to know!
--> by the way regarding your model 56, I didn't know you were serious about it having a Roland interface; that is, until I found out about the MCA MPU-IMC (and subsequently bought one like the dork I am). But hey, young ignorant kids like me have a lot to learn yet.
I paid about $300 for it, generally what regular ISA MPU interaces go for. So, that's not *Too* bad I don't think.

Back