• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

2810hd DOS 4.01

litterbox99

Experienced Member
I'm resurrecting a 2810HD laptop. I need to HSECT/FDISK the
HD. All the versions of DOS I have, lack the HSECT file.

Is DOS 4.01 available for download or does anyone have
hsect that would work with ver 6.22 ?

Well....

No joy on the HD. I HSECT'd, FDISK'd and Norton Disk Doctored this drive for
hours. It's too far gone so I guess I'll need to find a CP-2024 for replacement.

FYI: I replaced the floppy drive belt (they are known to be goo by now) with a close
replacement from MCM electronics Part # 42-410. I have several days, exorcizing
the drive and so far, so good. Should be the same drive as the 1500,1800,2810HD.

I don't think Tandy ever used DOS 4.0x. At least on the 1000 series, they skipped from MS-DOS 3.3 to 5.0.

Reviving the thread...

Is the bios complaining about the drive on boot-up?
If so, the seek arm is likely stuck in HOME position... common problem with these older drives.
If you've EVER had it open, you can pop the top off the drive and CAREFULLY move the arm... I use a very small piece of electrical tape between it and the 'park position' to help prevent it from sticking... and it seems to work well after that.

You may not even need to HSECT after that...

Of course, if the bios balking doesn't happen then....

:D

I've had several of these drives apart and was able to break it free to backup the drive.
One drive was a total loss and the other boots up fine after a Hsect/Fdisk.

My only problem now is finding a working LCD.

I spent days figuring out the display, and there are similar posts with the same anomalies.
If the LCD is hooked up, it shuts the power system down. No issues using the external LCD.
I even went to component level and changed a voltage driver IC on the LCD panel with no
luck.

It's a cool laptop and I remember back in the day selling them at the Shack. I just don't
want to dump any more $$$ in it as it's not really worth that much. I have seen replacement
panels for sale on Ebay for $90-$120 but I don't want the risk considering it may be something
on the main logic board.

It's on the back shelf for now.

Im afraid to say that I believe it IS a problem with the inverter assy on the main logic board... specifically the subsection that generates -22v to drive the LCDs themselves...

A common problem on the 2810-types, including the Panasonic version, CF270...
At least yours comes up with the LCD panel disconnected... tho Im 'fairly' sure it isn't the LCD panel itself.

I ended up tricking mine out before I 'gave it away' for practically nothing... but being only a 286, it couldn't run 'normal' Windows, and was generally falling behind.
Still like it/them... a nice, clean design ahead of its time, in either form!
:D

My only problem now is finding a working LCD.

Hello!

I happen to have a semi-working 2800 - the HD is not working (at least it won't boot) but the display is working just fine. If this might be something that you can use for parts, I am only looking to get back what I originally paid for it: $50 plus shipping.

Let me know if you are interested at all.

smp

The 2800 and 2810 are two different breeds... not sure who made the 2800 but the 2810 is a Panasonic knock-off.

leeb;

I have read all your older posts and what you went through on your 2810.
I do have -22v without the LCD hooked up as well as a working backlight
circuit. Rebuilt LCD panels can be purchased, but for $125 + it's too much
of a risk to find out the issue may me on the main logic board. It was more
of a novelty but I've already spent too much on it as it is.

Im CERTAIN it is some impedance issue that shuts down the -22 and throws the interrupt system into cataclysm...

If I ever manage to figure it out, I promise to return to this page and say something!

... after all, I have an ACTUAL Panasonic CF270 with the same affliction!

promise. :p

Back