• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

286 router motherboard

jrmymllr

Experienced Member
Has anyone ever played around with these 286 motherboards off eBay that came out of token ring routers? Any luck getting them to work? They are marked "JCS286/SCAT" and apparently do not have fully functional BIOS.

I assume you are referring to these? The seller used to state that previous buyers got them booting by replacing the BIOS. I see he has removed that from the listing. Possibly he got tired of playing tech support, or maybe they have other issues beyond the BIOS.

I assume you are referring to these? The seller used to state that previous buyers got them booting by replacing the BIOS. I see he has removed that from the listing. Possibly he got tired of playing tech support, or maybe they have other issues beyond the BIOS.
Those yes. I did find someone on here, or Vogons, that programmed the BIOS and it would boot, but still had trouble with the IDE hard drive. Not much discussion beyond that.

That same seller used to have some PEAK/DM boards. I think those had issues as well, even post-BIOS replacement. I haven't much experience with them, but imagine that age/damage/differences in design ultimately make these more of a tricky choice for conversion.

That same seller used to have some PEAK/DM boards. I think those had issues as well, even post-BIOS replacement. I haven't much experience with them, but imagine that age/damage/differences in design ultimately make these more of a tricky choice for conversion.
The 386 ones? I do remember MBs for $50 also from routers.

time to do this ill let you know how the testing goes
Sounds good. I can't tell what the part number is of the big Chips&Technologies part, but maybe there's a MR BIOS for it? Probably better than trying to match up some other AMI or Phoenix BIOS from another board.

F82C235 so the C&T SCAT chip. I haven't spotted a MR BIOS for that yet, I know it should exist according to some chipsets lists out there. Now first let get this thing into TRW.

There:
Nice to finally see some information for that board. I see you've been experimenting with different BIOS images by the SST chip in the original's EPROM's place.

Back