• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

2GS conundrum

phogren

Veteran Member
I'm not an Apple freak and I have read the "stickie". I'm trying to get a 2gs running with a 3.5" drive. I can get it running with a 5 1/4 using prodos 8 v1.9 and can transfer DSK files but I can't get the system on a 800K 3.5" disk. I can create 800K prodos disks on a MAC Power pc but I can't make the SDK file images work on it. I can make disks with the .sea extension work but I get the "can't load PRODOS" error when I try to boot the GS with them. I have a ROM 3 and a ROM 1. Is there something I am missing? Is there a prodos boot disk for the GS in a .sea file that I could use? I'm sure once I can get the GS booted with the 3.5" prodos
I should be able to use the .SDK files. Also is there a better version of stuffit or shrinkit for the MAC power pc running system 7.??

It may come to that. I have to be missing something. I tried the 6 boot disks from the apple site and no luck. It's probably staring me right in the face too. I know the floppy drive is good because it works great on the Mac. Someone here is probably rolling their eyes and wondering if I'm a complete loon. They will point out the obvious to me (I hope)!

i am not sure, but i think from what i hear, you cannot use a mac floppy drive with an apple ][ or vice versa. correct me if i'm wrong.

You need a 68K mac with a superdrive (auto inject) to make disks that work in a IIgs (DD not HD disks). The drives in the PPC machines do not work well in making disks for a IIgs.

I am so sorry to pollute this more serious conversation. However:

I notice that Apple introduced the 2GS in September 1986

and the Apple 3GS on June 8th 2009

Took them more than 20 years to get from 2 to 3

marcus

i am not sure, but i think from what i hear, you cannot use a mac floppy drive with an apple ][ or vice versa. correct me if i'm wrong.

This is partly correct. There are some 3.5" floppy drives that work only on the Mac, and not on the IIgs. The Mac type drives are the ones without eject buttons - the 400k and 800k drives intended for the Macintosh computers. The Unidisk 3.5" drive only works on Apple II computers - and is easy to notice, it's white, not grey. The Apple 3.5" Drive works on both the Macintosh and Apple II computers, and is by far the most common.

-Ian

Wow, thanks for all the input. I am transferring the programs via sneaker net to the Mac via an IBM laptop. Laptop to disk - to Mac - click on the .bin files - click on the .sea files - use diskcopy to make the IIGS disks. The files are all on the disk, it just won't boot. If it was a CP/M I would say I needed to do a SYSGEN. If it was MSDOS I would need to SYS the floppy or format it with the /s . It has to be something simple like that.

Actually, there is an extension that comes with the Apple IIe emulator card that allows you to mount ProDOS 3 1/2" floppy disks under a regular MacOS system and read/write/format them all day long. It's actually quite handy and even works under 9.2.2.
If you want to try it, I could email it to you in a .sit file.

The files are all on the disk, it just won't boot.
Do you have both a 5.25" and 3.5" disk hooked up to the IIgs? If so, just boot your 5.25" and then CAT,S5 to take a look at the disk in "Slot" 5, the 3.5" disk.
If it was a CP/M I would say I needed to do a SYSGEN. If it was MSDOS I would need to SYS the floppy or format it with the /s . It has to be something simple like that.
You're exactly right, there isn't anything in the boot sectors of your 3.5" disks. But there isn't a command-line way to make that happen, either. Can you have ADTPro build you a 3.5" disk (i.e. ADTPRO-1.1.2.PO)? That's bootable, and comes with the distribution.

Well I think I've got it figured out (knock-on-wood). I briefly tried making the disks on a MACLC580 running 7.5?? and the first one worked. HOORAY. Now to try making all 7 over again! Will report back.
One of the reasons I like vintage computers is that it reminds me of the days in the early 80's where so much got down by helping each other and not spending long times on the phone talking to people with thick accents in foreign countries - not that there's anything wrong with accents.

Back