• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3.5" floppy drive question

Wawavoun

Experienced Member
Hello,

I have here a TEAC FD-235H 807-U drive.

This drive has no power connector. The place is on the pcb but no connector was in place.

I found some manuals on internet but not for this specific reference.

How is this drive powered ? Is that meaning that the 34 pins connectors is a non standard one ? Then what is the pinout ?

Thanks and regards.
Philippe

I see a photo on the web for that particular model and the power connector isn't present. Since the drive only requires +5 to operate, I suppose that rail could have been tied to an unused position on the 34 pin connector. A test between the depopulated power connector and the 34 conductor header might reveal the true story.

@Wawavoun not sure how deep you want to go with this, but if you post up a picture of the PCB we could probably help identify the 5V rail. Then you could use a simple continuity test on the pins to see if / where it lives on the connector.

Weren’t there some Tandy systems where the floppy drives were powered over the ribbon cable too?

Weren’t there some Tandy systems where the floppy drives were powered over the ribbon cable too?

Other systems used floppy drives powered through a non-standard ribbon cable too, like the Schneider EuroPC series. This TEAC model was never used in the Schneiders though.

Re,

Here are the pictures.

Odd pins 1-3,5-11 etc... seems to be connected to # potentials.

This week end I will do continuity check with power supply pads located where the power connector is normally welded.

Regards

Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_204719.jpg
    IMG_20230112_204719.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230112_204653.jpg
    IMG_20230112_204653.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
Probably easiest to clip a probe to the +5 bus on the drive and probe the 34 pin connector with the other probe; both connected to a continuity tester.

That's the same drive as in the picture I posted above from my Tandy 1000 RL.

I would recommend not to modify it. If you need a normal one, get a normal one. There are probably dozens of people looking for a Tandy 1000 floppy drive who are more than happy to take it from you.

That drive is double-density only, btw.

Last edited:
Back