• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3.5" floppy in 5160 question

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Just got 4 3.5" floppy drives and a Silicon Valley Computers IDE card circa 1987, things got a very small chip count.

But my question is this

2 of the drives
A Teac 235hf
A Sony MPF420-1

Both have jumpers on them that appear to control how the drive figures out what high density is, either via a sensor, or through the interface
Can i set the jumper to pull it from the interface, and set the bios on a newer machine to 720 and it will be a 720?
I ask because i would like to use them both as 720 without using a boat-load of stickers over the media sense hole

*Side node - There is currently a compaticard on ebay for like $2300 - These things that rare now?*

Well, 1.2MB uses the pin 2 density select, so if you card asserts it for 1.44/720 switching you should be okay. Teac FD235HFs came in lots of flavors, most using media-select for density, so be certain that you're looking at the right thing.

Good to know.

I think the HF is an earlier one. I know that the newer they got, the less configurable the drive was. I was able to find manuals for both, which are pretty clear on what does what, so trial and error. That or try and find an 8-bit high density controller..

Back