• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

300-800mb Compaq or compatable PATA 2.5" laptop drive

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
I need a hard disk compatable with a Compaq 4/50CX or an alternative storage solution. My disk is starting to get quite loud and I know that it's only a matter of time now.

why not CF card and adapter?
I usually try to keep as most original components but in such cases I think that better to play with CF card.

Potential issues I noticed with one model of thinkpad (755CX). In tests mode it detects that HDD is not original and strange issues were appearing. But in older 370C - I am really satisfied.

why not CF card and adapter?
I usually try to keep as most original components but in such cases I think that better to play with CF card.

Potential issues I noticed with one model of thinkpad (755CX). In tests mode it detects that HDD is not original and strange issues were appearing. But in older 370C - I am really satisfied.

I'm honestly pretty new to Pre-Pentium laptops. From what I can tell though the adapter for this hard drive is proprietary. It's at least not anything like my IBM Thinkpad 760ED or A22m laptops were.

At the opposite side of laptop drive adapter you put IDE 2.5 drive with 44pin. So instead putting HDD then you put CF adapter + CF card.
I have that combination in my iBM (IBM drive adapter, CF adapter, CF card).

At the opposite side of laptop drive adapter you put IDE 2.5 drive with 44pin. So instead putting HDD then you put CF adapter + CF card.
I have that combination in my iBM (IBM drive adapter, CF adapter, CF card).

Yes, I install the 44pin CF adapters all the time in Compaq 5000 series laptops without an issue. I typically use 4GB CF cards giving the laptops 4 to 5 times the HDD space they had before (not to mention quite a bit faster and as a bonus using much less battery).

I just went looking through my box of 2.5" hard drives and found a few of the smallest PATA drives I have. They are both pulls from various Compaq 5000 series laptops I upgraded over the years.

- Toshiba MK1302MAN 1358MB (1.3GB)
- Toshiba MK4313MAT 4327MB (4.3GB)

As you can see in the pics the 1.3GB is rather tall for a 2.5" drive and may not fit in your laptop.

I have nothing to test the drives on at the moment however I never hold onto bad hard drives so I can assume these work fine.

You are welcome to either drive for your laptop. You may need to load an overlay on the drive to break the 504MB boundary if that exists in your laptop.

Just pay for shipping from 43420.

bothdrives.JPGprofiles.JPG13gbcloseup.JPG43gbcloseup.JPG

I just went looking through my box of 2.5" hard drives and found a few of the smallest PATA drives I have. They are both pulls from various Compaq 5000 series laptops I upgraded over the years.

- Toshiba MK1302MAN 1358MB (1.3GB)
- Toshiba MK4313MAT 4327MB (4.3GB)

As you can see in the pics the 1.3GB is rather tall for a 2.5" drive and may not fit in your laptop.

I have nothing to test the drives on at the moment however I never hold onto bad hard drives so I can assume these work fine.

You are welcome to either drive for your laptop. You may need to load an overlay on the drive to break the 504MB boundary if that exists in your laptop.

Just pay for shipping from 43420.

View attachment 67065View attachment 67066View attachment 67067View attachment 67068

I may take you up on the 1.3. The 4.3 is far too much for my laptop and the stock HDD on this thing is pretty chonkey so I think the 1.3 will fit.

Back