• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

4032 FAT-40 to 8032 Conversion Info

miraco

Experienced Member
Hello everyone!

I am looking for info describing how to do the conversion from a "FAT-40" to 8032. Universal Dynamic Pet board assembly #8032090.

I found some links in older threads but they are no longer valid.

IIRC, you'll also need to change the EDIT ROM to initialize the CRTC for 80 columns.
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that as well, also to remap the keyboard.

Note that there is one actual mod required on the motherboard aside from moving jumpers, cutting the trace at UB8-1 and bridging the cut with a jumper or pins. This is because the 40 column version did not have UB8 installed and it interferes with 40 column operation.

Steve's board works on both 40 & 80 col, you have to check the revision of the main board. Info is on his site.
I hate to argue and it is a little confusing, but not really; it works with two of the three 80 column 'universal' boards (or converted 40 column versions) but it does not turn a 40 column board into an 80 column one

Last edited:
I've got 3 8032's and I just bought a 4016 that needs some work so I could get a 12" 40 Col pet.

I'd rather have the correct keyboard to match the machine, I worry that even using the modded edit rom, some programs might read the key matrix directly and might not work right.

Honestly I suspect most casual PET-ers aren’t going to get a ton of use out of converting a 40xx to 80 columns like this. As Dabone notes, having the “wrong” keyboard matrix for the type of software you’re trying to run is a significant compatibility gotcha, and it is worth noting that while commodore *did* make some factory 40 column PETs with business keyboards they never to my knowledge made an official 80 column graphics keyboard model.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I currently have a SuperPET that I am currently troubleshooting. I picked up a 4032 universal board to use as a backup just in case :)

I had been working with the Daves and Andy in an earlier thread a few months ago but had some life stuff pull me away from repairs until recently.

Howdy Miraco,

If you're interested in the 40/80 switcher mod, I currently have some of those PCBs on the way. If you'd like one, send me a PM. They should be available in about two weeks.

@All
Btw, what is a 'FAT 40'?

Btw, what is a 'FAT 40'?
When the 4.0 ROM set was released in 1980, the The 2001-N machines with 9 inch screens and no CRTC chips started shipping with 4.0 and were re-badged as 4016/4032
So when the universal board started shipping with the low profile case and 12 inch screen, they were nicknamed "FAT" 40's because of the bigger screen.

Thanks Wimwalther, will do!

Daver2, no disrespect intended. I have the upmost respect for the level of knowledge you folks have for this vintage gear!

The 40/80 Switcher boards are here, and as usual, they look just great.

Two are spoken for, three remain.

$5 Gets you one PLUS a Covox Speech Thing (replica) board, shipped to USA.

The Covox is meant for IBM PC parallel port, but can just as well be set up for CBM PET / 64 / VIC etc. user port.

Back