• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

40w CFL vs 9W LED

falter

Veteran Member
A while back I got a set of Kshioe box lights for my 'studio'. They came with 40w CFL bulbs that are starting to die. I can't find replacements near me.. closest are 25w and even those are getting quite scarce. I tried putting in an LED bulb (9w).. but it won't turn on. Works in a regular lampm I would assume the light socket should be same design right? Or am I literally playing with fire here doing substitutions?

What's between the LED lamp and the AC supply? Dimmer or photocell/SCR? I had a fixture with the latter and it didn't turn until until I bridged the LED socket with a 100K resistor. Apparently some control devices rely on a small leakage current. CFLs have it, as do incandescents, but LEDs not so much.

What's between the LED lamp and the AC supply? Dimmer or photocell/SCR? I had a fixture with the latter and it didn't turn until until I bridged the LED socket with a 100K resistor. Apparently some control devices rely on a small leakage current. CFLs have it, as do incandescents, but LEDs not so much.
Just a straight up switch. I don't see anything exotic in the socket either.

I have a similar set of Knockoffium light boxes and they have a mix of random bulbs stuffed in them, including LEDs. Are you certain the fault isn’t a malformed socket that’s preventing the replacement bulb from getting good contact or iffy wiring connections to the cord? Neither quality control or build quality are things I personally expect when I buy stuff like this, alas.

Just a straight up switch. I don't see anything exotic in the socket either.
Eudimorphodon's put his finger on the cause. Also depends on how the socket is situated and the width of the LED bulb neck--if said neck is too wide, it can interfere with the fit and the bulb won't screw in enough to make contact.. With the lamp unplugged (obviously, but I had to say it). try grabbing the center contact in the socket and pulling it out a bit. Smith-Victor is no longer the go-to source on these things?

Back