• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

486 at 2Mhz , on ebay

To reach these results the computer has a great motherboard which provides the 2 Mhz option. I chose an Intel 486SX25 CPU because it neither has clock doubling nor an FPU. The external cache has been removed. For main memory I selected my slowest (100ns, 256Kbyte, 9bit) SIMM sticks. In BIOS I disabled or set to slow every performance option I can find. The graphics card is also a slow 256Kbyte piece with enabled waitstate for good measure.
I feel like this guy is taking everyone for a ride. I don't think I have ever seen a motherboard that could hard jumper itself to run so slow but at the same time can someone have the audacity to spec such an awful system and fake the results to make it look like it's running even slower?

At a 2MHz, the speed of available DRAM SIMMs would largely be irrelevant.

Really, all one would need to do is to insert lots of wait states--I still don't see the point.

Why fake this? Are y'all suggesting the seller would think making it slower would make it sell better?

Yabut, the seller explicitly said that he selected a 486SX because it lacked an FPU. Doesn't sound like an engineering sample to me.

And engineering samples were a lot faster than 2MHz. IIRC the 81086 and 80286 sampled at 4MHz; 6/8MHz was pretty much the production clock.

It could be that the board is faulty and won't run at full speed. I've had boards like that before. Any buyer should probably assume that.

There are some people who enjoy getting Windows to boot up on the slowest possible CPU and/or with the least amount of RAM. There are numerous videos of these "world records" on YouTube. But the other 99.9% of vintage computer enthusiasts would have no interest in a system hacked to achieve such a feat.

There are some people who enjoy getting Windows to boot up on the slowest possible CPU and/or with the least amount of RAM. There are numerous videos of these "world records" on YouTube. But the other 99.9% of vintage computer enthusiasts would have no interest in a system hacked to achieve such a feat.

I don't know. People ages ago were proud to hack OSX onto classic old PPC Apple machines where just the OS took ages to boot and nothing useful could get done.

Back