• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486 cd problems

PS1

I have a 486 33mhz 8mb of ram running 95 i cant get it to see my cd drive.

It has only one ide connection the ribbon cable has 2 connectors on it
what i would like to know is what i set the cd rom to cable select or master or even slave ?

apart from this problem it actually runs 95 very well even copes with the internet.

thanks for any help

There should be no problem running W95 on a 486...Although you might get some stuck-ups from time to time :lol:

Anyway, you should set the jumper on your drive to Slave, assuming you're placing the drive as slave on the IDE cable (should be the middle connector, IIRC). If it's a Compaq, you might be required to set it to Cable Select...

Other than that, I can't really see what you could be missing. Running Win95, it should spot the drive. You might need some other CD-driver software running...Try running a Google search on the make and model of the drive - possibly combined with "Windows 95"...

Arh, hell, who I'm I trying to kid into thinking I know something about this stuff... :oops:

Actually, Microsoft only recommends a minimum system of a 486 DX2 66MHz system to operate it's Windows 95/98 products.

And it also might be that you need drivers for such an old CD-ROM - a problem I have run into before in the past, because I have never seen built-on CD-ROM support on 486 motherboards as early as you say yours might be or of-the-time IDE adapters. Can you please give us the make a model of your CD-ROM?

486 cd problems

yes its an old machine the ide connection is on an isa card as is the floppy connector.

so far i have got it networked and added sound using isa cards and it runs very well.

It is a modern cd player i am thinking this could be my problem? anyway
the make of cd is justlink.

i have a feeling its a cheap generic make and i would have to lift the lid to see who made its parts.

when i loaded windows 95 picked up on the fact it was there because it put it in its list of components to install but when windows finished installing it had ignored it.

hmm its a puzzle.

486 cd problems

Thanks for all your help i have sorted it believe it or not it needed the selector pin removing completely.

soon as i did that and rebooted W95 found the cdrom first time. :D

MS W95 will runn on...

MS W95 will runn on...

I've run MS win95 on a Dell 386/16 with 8mb ram. Very solid even with networking. It is slow though.

I use 486/33s with 200mb disks as print server running W95 and HP2200 laser printers on the network. They get rebooted about once every 3-4 months.

Not seeing the CD can be just the lack of the driver and MSCP in the config.sys and Autoexec.bat. the drive should be set for slave if there is another disk or CD that is master. Cable select is rarely used. I assume the drive is on the primary IDE if not the driver must be configured in it's command line for the secondary IDE.

Allison

barryp said:
Super-Slasher said:
Actually, Microsoft only recommends a minimum system of a 486 DX2 66MHz system to operate it's Windows 95/98

I've seen both run on a 386 though.

The slowest I've seen a (non-sabotaged) windows install run was when I accidentally booted an nt4 box with 4MB of RAM. (Removed one of the SIMMs for testing; forgot to put it in and the wonky board I was using had 4MB of ram on board for some reason).

But NT4 did boot on 4 MB? I remember installing Solaris 2.5 on an old Sun IPX. The operating system refused to install on a machine with less than 12 MB, but once it was installed, it would boot with only 8 MB... and remember that this is a relatively memory hungry platform/OS.

Back