• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25" Disk labels...

Al Hartman

Veteran Member
All of my old disk labels no longer stick well. Disks labeled in the 1980's have the labels falling off, and pages of unused label have dried out and no longer stick.

I tried using 1x4 mailing labels like we used to, but they don't stick and come off as you use the disks.

You can't actually buy blank labels anymore in Staples or Office Max.

What are people using that are permanent and good for both hand writing, or running through a printer?

Good question. I've had the same problem with "modern" labels, they just don't stick to plastic very well. At least the 2"X2 5/8" labels are still the right size for 3.5" disks. If I clean the surface, try to avoid bending the label as it peels, and press it down really hard all over, sometimes they will stick well enough.

I use regular office labels like the Avery ones. The generic ones from the dollar store seem to work well enough. I've used those for a few years and they're not falling off yet.

My oldest diskettes mostly have labels still sticking, but a few which have been abused have come undone. I am now living in an area with low humidity so expect to see some problems in the future, but almost then years hence - nothing yet.

Old disk labels can soak through with old solvent-based adhesives and water-based adhesives dry out eventually--which includes the 30 or 33-count address labels.

I keep a can of this stuff and a small empty cardboard box around:

(3M Super 77 spray adhesive)

Drop the old dry label in the box, give it a spritz and stick it back on the disk jacket. Also very handy for sticking mailing labels onto packages. Available at big-box and office supply stores.

Not too happy with the dollar store labels, but the Avery ones seem fine.

I think you're right about the inferiority of the dollar store ones. They're likely low quality, old, or both. I've had problems with them for other uses, but I guess I've either been lucky or the adhesive is well suited for sticking to diskettes. It's probably better to avoid tacky tat - except when it comes to labels. :)

I'll second the 3m spray adhesive. GREAT stuff for dealing with misbehaving labels... and if you have old labels you want to pull without screwing up the plastic (or paint for that matter) try pine-sol.

No joke, regular pine-sol is one of the safest paint and glue removers out there. It also makes a very good thinner for heat sink compound like artic silver.

Not too happy with the dollar store labels, but the Avery ones seem fine.
Odd, I think it is mostly the Avery stuff I have been using with only hit and miss success.

But it just occurred to me, if you don't mind cutting your own shapes, those print-it-yourself bumper sticker sheets should stick nicely.

I used to use leftover VHS video tape labels... think I still got some stuffed away somewhere. :cool:

I'll have to remember that super 77 spray. Good tip!

and if you have old labels you want to pull without screwing up the plastic (or paint for that matter) try pine-sol.

I get pretty good results using plain old 3-buck-a-gallon paint thinner (charcoal lighter fluid or Coleman lantern fuel would probably also work). Wipe some on the label with a rag dampened with the stuff and let it soak in for 15 minutes. The label slides right off.

Back