• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25" Hard Sector Floppies

Very Cool !

Was wondering the status of your project...

I want one to play with...

This is so cool that I almost feel I need it, even though I don't actually own a computer using hard-sectored floppies! :)

Definitely interested if you are going ahead with a batch of boards. I am in the process or restoring a Northstar Horizon and this will really help.

The move from the prototype environment (PIC24FJ processor - 16 bit, 16 working registers, hardware multiply and divide) to the production board with its PIC16F1824 processor (8 bit, one working register, segmented memory, etc.) has ended up being a total rewrite. Good progress so far, but real life hasn't left me nearly as much time as I'd like to work on this lately.

Mike

The move from the prototype environment (PIC24FJ processor - 16 bit, 16 working registers, hardware multiply and divide) to the production board with its PIC16F1824 processor (8 bit, one working register, segmented memory, etc.) has ended up being a total rewrite. Good progress so far, but real life hasn't left me nearly as much time as I'd like to work on this lately.

No problem, Mike. Thanks very much for the update.

smp

Here's a video that shows the virtual sector generator (VSG) automatically adjusting for substantial changes in motor speed with a soft sectored floppy inserted. On the top trace, in the middle of the screen, you can see virtual sector 9, followed by the physical index pulse, followed by virtual sector 0. I induce several speed changes during the video using the motor speed adjustment pot on the drive. In each case, you can see the VSG restore proper timing.

Mike

I'm to the point where I'd like to send out a few of the VSG kits to hobbyists who presently have some time to work with the board and give me feedback on any problems they might encounter. I'd like to find people working with the North Star single density controller, North Star double density controller, Micropolis controller, Altair mini-disk controller, and the Heathkit 10 sector controller. Or, if you have some other application, let me know about it.

The complete kit with all parts comes to right around $40 and shipping by small flat-rate priority mail is $6. If you want it assembled and tested, let's say $60 plus $6 for shipping.

Contact me by PM here or at deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name.

Thanks!

Mike

Back