• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150/5160 IO "attachment"

I've seen one and they were available with the AST Six Pack Plus and other type 3rd party add on cards that would provide you with additional parallel, serial, and game ports. Not an issue if you have an XT, but you couldn't fit all that into an PC, if you were okay with the cable and connector just hanging out the back.

It's a Quadram Quadboard I/O bracket:
http://digitize.textfiles.com/items/1984-quadram-quips/.m/1984-quadram-quips-01.jpg

You would add one of those to a 5150 due to the limited slots/backplates available. Not as much of a need for it on a 5160, but obviously some people added them. They might have been available for other I/O expansion cards too.

Off hand, I don't see they had any special name for the bracket component.

I doubt you would find one on its own unless someone parted out a machine or had a new-in-box Quadboard.

As SomeGuy said, comes with the QuadRAM expansions. I have one in an early 5150 with a black slot cover on the back (so from ~82/83), and has that exact same attachment.

I've got a very old 256K Quadboard that I bought for my 64K 5150. It came with slot brackets for the additional ports. No "hanger bracket". Must have been for a very narrow product range.

I don't suggest you bother getting one. I have one, and it blocks some card's ports which I want to use. So I let it hang out anyway. True I could move it over to where the power supply is. But then that leads to the second negative, is it may warp or require bending the case to fit. I don't know, but the system I have came this way, so it's just a guess. I don't want to accidentally warp the metal frame any further.

Back