• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5160 motherboard layout

Casey

Veteran Member
I looked around minuszerodegrees but didn't find what I was looking for, which is a simple schematic showing the layout of a 5160 motherboard. Modern motherboards come with such schematics (USB header, parallel port header, etc) but I haven't seen one for the 5160. Mind you there's not much there compared to a modern machine, but it's nice to know.

Does anyone know of such a schematic?

just google for "IBM 5160 board" and you get quite a lot of pictures that you can use, IMHO. If not, PM me and I make you a nice high res photo that gives you enough details to see where all ICs are seated.

Last edited:
You are correct. Schematic is not a good word.

The link you provided is sort of what I'm looking for, but I'm also interested in where the keyboard controller is, the timing crystal, stuff like that. A call out of where the major chips are located on the board.

For that much detail, you are probably looking for a layout diagram. Those often do accompany schematics. I don't recall if the IBM technical manuals had those, but things like the SAMS PhotoFacts would have those with their schematics.

Be sure to check out http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/ you might find something like what you are looking for there. Piles of information about IBM 5150/5160/5170s and so on.

Get yourself a copy of the IBM PC XT Technical Reference (available at minuszerodegrees.net) and turn to pages 1-6/1-7 for a logical block diagram of the system board and page 1-13 for an illustration of the physical board with a couple of the chips identified. Otherwise just get a good clear photo of a 5160 board to refer to as you browse the schematics: it's not a particularly complex board and each chip is clearly labelled on the board itself and also clearly identified in the schematics.

Back