• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8-bit floppy controller that supports 1.44mb

mk553

If anyone out there has a 8-bit floppy controller card that has its own BIOS to support 1.44mb floppies, I'm in great need of one! :)

Thanks,

Mike

If anyone out there has a 8-bit floppy controller card that has its own BIOS to support 1.44mb floppies, I'm in great need of one! :)

Thanks,

Mike

Please post a reply if someone supplies you with one...I was going to post in the next day or two looking for the same thing and will wait until your request is fulfilled first. No reply = I won't know when to post. Thanks and good luck, they're not common.

Last edited:
I have one of these, if that would fit the bill.

I picked it up awhile back intending to put it in my AT&T PC6300, but alas, the machine is a bit proprietary and doesn't seem to get along too well with add-in floppy controllers. So, the card's just sitting around now, I don't have any other machines that could use such a thing.

I have one of these, if that would fit the bill.

I picked it up awhile back intending to put it in my AT&T PC6300, but alas, the machine is a bit proprietary and doesn't seem to get along too well with add-in floppy controllers. So, the card's just sitting around now, I don't have any other machines that could use such a thing.

I've got a couple of these which look to be a first cousin to the one you have. Yes, it supports 1.44MB floppies nicely. It also has the benefit that it will handle FM (single-density) floppies. Mine have a National DP8473 controller.

I have a card as well, which I don't have handy and can't recall the name of, but, it's 8 bit, has one connector for 1.44/720/360 and a separate one for a couple of 2.88 drives as well.

I have a card as well, which I don't have handy and can't recall the name of, but, it's 8 bit, has one connector for 1.44/720/360 and a separate one for a couple of 2.88 drives as well.

I know the card--I think JDR used to sell them. I don't know that the BIOS on them will work on an 8088-based system, however. I've got one of those as well.

Old Thrashbarg:

Yes, I think that would work for me. If you still have it, feel free to respond privately with details.

Thanks!

Mike

i don't want to derail this too much, but consider the following:

1) get an XTIDE card. The BIOS on it will support HD floppies when it's finished.
2) get one of those el cheapo 16 bit IDE+floppy+com+lpt super IO cards.
Yes, I said 16 bit.

3) disable the IDE controller on the 16bit card. Remove the BIOS if there is one.
4) disable/remove your floppy controller card from your PC
5) plug both the XTIDE and your superIO card into 8 bit slots.
6) boot and enjoy. You'll have huge HDD support and HD floppy support. The XTIDE BIOS supplies the software for both, the HD floppy controller on the 16 bit card (using only the 8bit section) supplies your floppy support.

that's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hargle, but I want to try to keep this restoration a 'numbers matching' motor, with no 16-bit stuff.

Since this is a Juko 10mhz turbo motherboard, I'm allowing for a bit of odd hardware, like the 1.44mb floppy, but not too far off the beaten path of the era.

Thanks again,

Mike

Currently looking to buy am 8 bit floppy controller card that supports 1.44, if anyone has one to sell!

HI
new here,great site, i think the SE will read 800k an 1.44 floppy.if you can find one.
might be some usable parts there,good luck.

Hi, I stumbled across this site today while trying to identify these two cards pictured below. One is an "Standard Microsystems SMC 4003-PC 8-Bit Disk Controller Board" the other is an " Lonshine Microsystems LCS-6210C 8-Bit Disk Controller Board" Are either of what you were looking for?
Cheers
SyIMG-20131219-00369.jpgIMG-20131219-00370.jpg

Hi, I stumbled across this site today while trying to identify these two cards pictured below. One is an "Standard Microsystems SMC 4003-PC 8-Bit Disk Controller Board" the other is an " Lonshine Microsystems LCS-6210C 8-Bit Disk Controller Board" Are either of what you were looking for?
Cheers
SyView attachment 16402View attachment 16403
They're *not* floppy controllers. :)

Back