• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit IDE Controller

I would also say that at this point (with what, 9 different people?) testing this card it is vital that we have some someone bring all the test results together and compile it into a single report. This will help us get an overall picture of where we are at, I am willing to do this, just email me (or PM) the data you collect.
ok, I guess this just answered my question above. I will send you my data today.

As for testers, everyone who is currently chiming in is pretty much it. Both mike chambers and terry yager have cards too, but they've been a bit quiet, terry especially. I have 3 cards, and after a little bit more playing with multi-card support this weekend, I would like to unload at least 1 more of them.

Speaking of that, how to we go about all updating and sharing the spreadsheet? since we have to download it to make changes, is there a common site we can send it back to when we're finished making updates, or does 1 person want to take charge of making sure it's updated via email requests?

Modify it, fill it out completely, go nuts. Just get the data down and I will convert it and merge it all into a nice readable wiki article.

Maybe we can use the Wiki?

Well, the spread sheet is something quick and easy to fill out, and what I intend to do is merge the data and post it on the wiki for everyone to see. This way there will be some consistency in the end result.

I will look at purchasing all new ICs and ROM for my card and send 'em to Andrew for re-soldering. I don't think there are any burnt traces, just a very sore burnt thumb.

Thanks

Speaking of that, how to we go about all updating and sharing the spreadsheet? since we have to download it to make changes, is there a common site we can send it back to when we're finished making updates, or does 1 person want to take charge of making sure it's updated via email requests?

Google Docs is the best way to do this. Several people can edit the same spreadsheet simultaneously (and you can see the changes happening realtime).

[snip]
I will look at purchasing all new ICs and ROM for my card and send 'em to Andrew for re-soldering. I don't think there are any burnt traces, just a very sore burnt thumb.

Thanks

I hope your thumb is feeling better. That the part got so hot is definitely not a good sign.

You board does have sockets, right? I can swap them for you easily enough as it should be a simple matter of pulling one chip and replacing it a new one. There shouldn't be any desoldering/soldering involved.

I strongly recommend the use of sockets whenever possible especially during testing.

If there are not sockets, to desolder common parts like those, I'd just use a flush cutter and cut the legs off. Then desolder the individual legs, install sockets, and then install the parts. Even with a proper desoldering vacuum station (which I don't have) it'd be tough to remove all those parts without trashing at least one or two pads.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I would be concerned that the host machine didn't like the way the board was inserted. I'd be looking to test the motherboard (and that particular) slot to make sure there is no other damage.

You board does have sockets, right? I can swap them for you easily enough as it should be a simple matter of pulling one chip and replacing it a new one. There shouldn't be any desoldering/soldering involved.

it's all sockets. I suspect the dipswitches, caps and resistors probably survived, so as you say, it should be just a matter of getting a new set of ICs from jameco. Lutiana, I'll send you a bill of materials from jameco and you can just order a new set. Probably cost you about $12-15 plus shipping.

It'll be easy to swap the parts out and you'll be back up and running in no time, provided nothing on the PCB itself smoked.

-----------------------

here's my data, as taken from the wiki debug log:
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/XT_IDE-Testing.xls

I like the idea of moving to google docs...

Last edited:
I hope your thumb is feeling better. That the part got so hot is definitely not a good sign.

Its much better today, hurt like hell yesterday, but its a minor (first degree) burn, and now is a small blister. I'll live! :D

I would be concerned that the host machine didn't like the way the board was inserted. I'd be looking to test the motherboard (and that particular) slot to make sure there is no other damage.

As near as I can tell there is zero damage to the motherboard. It posts and boots fine without the card in it.

it's all sockets. I suspect the dipswitches, caps and resistors probably survived, so as you say, it should be just a matter of getting a new set of ICs from jameco. Lutiana, I'll send you a bill of materials from jameco and you can just order a new set. Probably cost you about $12-15 plus shipping.

It'll be easy to swap the parts out and you'll be back up and running in no time, provided nothing on the PCB itself smoked.

Much appreciated.

I like the idea of moving to google docs...

Yeah, thats a very good idea. I will set something up and post the URL.

Yeah, thats a very good idea. I will set something up and post the URL.

Ok, so google docs will only allow me to share the spreadsheet with specific people via email. I can't open it up to everyone and simply post a link (or at least I can't work out how to do this if it can be done).

So, anyone that is testing this card please send me a PM with your email and I will send you an invite to edit and add to the spread sheet.

I think I will also create a spread sheet with a list of you has what cards and contact details, so send me which card (and how many) you have, and whatever contact details you wish to share (if any).

*Edit* So I have edited the google spread sheet a bit, there is now a column for the BIOS revision and over-all functionality. Also, please read the comments in the heading (hover over the cell with you mouse) for what to put in the column (this will help keep the table consistent). I also added some conditional coloring (an entry of Y automatically changes to green, and N changes to red).

Last edited:
Some updates on my side:

I've currently done some progress on the software pack for this card. Most of it is done, so it's actually just the polishing I'm working on now.

I tried to figure a way to make the setup program search for multipile cards, then asking the user what card to use. The main problem there was that it required a software-generated menu with variable number and content of options. Because writing such a menu requires quite a lot of code, and I really don't got that much time, I went for a more simple solution.

First of all, I added the "/O:Baseaddress" parameter to the setup program. I didn't add the "/S" switch for various reasons, so you have to use the parameter if you got multipile cards. Then, I made a small tool that simply scanns for siguatures, and tells the user the settings of all curently installed cards, including boot settings for the last card found.

So, a user with multipile cards should first run the small utility, then use the output to decide the input to the Setup program.

I'll also alter the Setup program to only ask for boot settings for the last found card.

lol. Were you thinking about hooking up a SATA drive using that adapter to an XT-IDE card?

This looks like it's gone real well so far; i may buy one when the next batch comes...

ok, I guess this just answered my question above. I will send you my data today.

As for testers, everyone who is currently chiming in is pretty much it. Both mike chambers and terry yager have cards too, but they've been a bit quiet, terry especially. I have 3 cards, and after a little bit more playing with multi-card support this weekend, I would like to unload at least 1 more of them.

i have tried 5 or 6 different drives and they all work like a charm as long as i stick with the 80-wire cable. speaking of which, was my resistor suggestion a stupid one?

i currently use a WD23200 Caviar driver on it with DR-DOS 7.03.

Ok, It was just a thought, in cause PATA drives are getting obsolete in the future.

Per, I think its a great idea. All we need is a brave volunteer to get one and try it out. Personally, I think it would work right out of the box. I could be wrong of course. The board seems to work with CF IDE adapters and they can't be any more bizarre than the SATA IDE adapters. The only way to settle it is to put down $20 and find out the old fashioned way... TRY IT!

Andrew Lynch

i have tried 5 or 6 different drives and they all work like a charm as long as i stick with the 80-wire cable. speaking of which, was my resistor suggestion a stupid one?

i currently use a WD23200 Caviar driver on it with DR-DOS 7.03.

Mike, well in general pull up/pull down resistors are a good idea. They are already applied in the existing design. When you take a circuit design and apply it to many unknown configurations, you'll find lots of strange combinations and things and work and some that don't. My personal opinion is we are chasing our shadows due to the cold joint issue. Once that's flushed out I think we are going to see much better results. Also, going back to 74LS parts will help, I think.

We're testing to expand the envelope on the design and find its limits. Honestly, I think its holding up fairly well. I mean, we haven't experienced any collapses of the space time continuum yet and that's always a good sign, right? :)

Andrew Lynch

Mike, well in general pull up/pull down resistors are a good idea. They are already applied in the existing design. When you take a circuit design and apply it to many unknown configurations, you'll find lots of strange combinations and things and work and some that don't. My personal opinion is we are chasing our shadows due to the cold joint issue. Once that's flushed out I think we are going to see much better results. Also, going back to 74LS parts will help, I think.

We're testing to expand the envelope on the design and find its limits. Honestly, I think its holding up fairly well. I mean, we haven't experienced any collapses of the space time continuum yet and that's always a good sign, right? :)

Andrew Lynch

i don't know, i'm pretty sure i exprienced a small spacetime continuum disturbance the other day. it felt like about 8 hours passed, but i found out in reality it was only 8 minutes. i was talking to my step mother, may have had something to do with it but i'm open to the possibility of a temporal shift caused by my XT clone as well.

I need everybody with an XT or XT compatible to run DEBUG and enter the command "d e000:0000" (you may replace e000 with the address to any black holes in your memory map if there are something at e000).

Does it returns 00s or FFs?

I need this information for one of the utilities that scans the memory map to search for suitable settings for our card.

Back