• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit IDE Controller

Updating BIOS ROM in an IBM 5150

Updating BIOS ROM in an IBM 5150

3. I am soon to be in possession of a 5150 which I believe is one of the earlier BIOS versions. Is it possible to upgrade the bios in this machine (S/N 0197797) in order to use expansion cards with option ROMs?
If you look at http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=9692 you'll see that there were 3 versions. The first 2 versions (repeat, 2) don't support ROM BIOS extensions. If it turns out that you have either of the first two versions, then I am prepared to do a swap with one of my third version ROMs (original IBM ROM). An inconvenience is that I'm located in Australia. PM me if you are interested.

If you want to head down the route of using an adapter, see http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=13399

As this thread has gotten over 1000 replies, should we maybe do as the ones in the "yellowing removal" thread and start a "part 2" if this thread...

Just wondering...

If you want to head down the route of using an adapter, see http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=13399

Thanks for the informative reply. I might be hitting you up for a swap by the time it's all said and done, but I think that I'd like to try for the adapter route first.

I believe that I could use a 27C256 in a SOIC package, and create a small adapter board for it that would plug straight into the PDIP socket. So basically, a board with the same form factor and pinout as a MK36xxx but with the SOIC piggybacked atop it. I suppose if one wanted to get *really* clever, you could have a more sophisticated adapter (though it wouldn't likely fit in the PDIP form factor any longer) that would allow one to choose from the 3 different BIOS versions with a DIP switch or something like that.

Of course I have to get said 5150 here first, and I'm waiting on a fellow to get back from a business trip to complete the transaction. If I'm successful with this, do you think that anyone else would be interested in such an adapter?

I just tried the card with my 286 expansion active (set to 8MHz).

Just note that the 286 expansion card I got don't work under any DOS after and including 5.0, so I had to use DOS 3.3 (32MB partions).

I can tell so far that the performance greatly improved (Tested with Norton Utilities 4.5):

Normal:
Computing Index, relative to PC/XT: 1.0
Disk Index, relative to PC/XT: 6.0
Performance Index, relative to PC/XT: 2.6

With 286-card (5MHz):
Computing Index, relative to PC/XT: 8.9
Disk Index, relative to PC/XT: Can't recognize drive C as a hard disk drive
Performance Index, relative to PC/XT: Not tested

With 286-card (8MHz):
Computing Index, relative to PC/XT: 9.0
Disk Index, relative to PC/XT: Can't recognize drive C as a hard disk drive
Performance Index, relative to PC/XT: Not tested

However, the 286 card does use some of it's extra memory as disk cache, maybe that has something to do with it. It's at least SIGNIFFICANT faster.

By the way, I also figured that when the 286 card is active, it doesn't really handle well the programs that directly comunicates with hardware. Interrupt-based software, on the other hand, is really fast.

Acculogic ide

Acculogic ide

gerrydoire: you should go get a prom burned of our latest BIOS. All you need to do is change the base address using the setup utility to 360h (or I can do that for you) and then you can have your acculogic card booting any sized compact flash card. No reason to wait for our card when yours is ready to roll right now...

I agree with your thinking 100% :)

Can you burn me the prom chip, I can pay for whatever it will cost you in time and effort.

One thing I've noticed about the CF Cards that would boot vs the ones that wouldn't boot on my Acculogic with original prom.

The ones that wouldn't boot had speed indicators on the CF card, like 8x, 32x etc. The CF cards that would boot, none of them had speed indicators on the CF Card. Standard IDE interface vs Enhanced IDE Interface?

I'm having the data corruption issues again, but usually only if I got two drives connected. In addition, I changed the I/O port of my card to port 320 since my 286 card uses port 300. I did change the BIOS extension too.

My combination of chips:

28C64A
74F04
74F32
74LS138
74F245
74F573
74F573
74F573
74LS688
74LS688

I don't got space for a scope on my desk...

(BTW, I made a small overwiev of this thread)
Code:
Page:
1   = Idea is nailed, General discussion about how great it would be.
11  = Durid got to examine card from bobwatts, General discussion about the card from Bob.
21  = The base of the BIOS Extension is being made, the hardware is not clarified yet. General discussion.
31  = Prototype board is being made.
41  = General discussion.
51  = Beta 1 test boards are being made, General discussion about it.
61  = General discussion about feautres of the Rev 1 board.
71  = Beta 1 test boards are being tested by testers. General discussion and software updates.
81  = General discussion about the noise problem.
91  = Last check on the Rev 1 board.
100 = Tandy compability is being discussed.

Last edited:
I agree with your thinking 100% :)

Can you burn me the prom chip, I can pay for whatever it will cost you in time and effort.

One thing I've noticed about the CF Cards that would boot vs the ones that wouldn't boot on my Acculogic with original prom.

The ones that wouldn't boot had speed indicators on the CF card, like 8x, 32x etc. The CF cards that would boot, none of them had speed indicators on the CF Card. Standard IDE interface vs Enhanced IDE Interface?

Hi! If all you need is a straight 2764 EPROM programmed, I can do that for you. You're plugging this into the Acculogic board so you can't program it with Per's utility, right?

Have you considered the "cut and jumper" method to hook the /MEMW line on the ISA connector to the /WriteEnable pin of the 28C64 and then use Per's utility?

If all you want is the 2764, I can send you one of those. PM me the details and I'll hook you up.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Amazing work guys !!!

I really like the design of the pcb, is just the size for my euro pc, to fit inside the keyboard and plug a cf card, all internal.

I hope soon I can order a couple of pcb´s kits for try it on my european XT´s Scheneider euro pc and Olivetti pcs 86.

When can the pcb´s be avalaible to purchase ?

The wiki says august - september.

Is this model (pcb 1) the definitive or is better wait to revision 2 and make the pcb´s for all the people they want to buy it ??

Thanks for this lovely project.

Regards.

Is this the current most up-to-date schematic?

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/f/Printing XT-IDE-sch.pdf

May I ask why U4 is a latch and not a simple buffer?

Bill

Hi Bill! Thanks! I see your point. With U4 LOAD signal tied HIGH with VCC the 74LS573 is effectively a buffer already unlike U2 and U3. There is nothing actually using the latch mechanism with this design.

The only benefit I see is common parts since there are already two 74LS573 latches used on the board. In either case, the buffer is required to interface with the IDE interface because of current drive requirements and the 74LS573 is easily able to perform that role even acting as a de facto buffer.

Andrew Lynch

Hi Bill! Thanks! I see your point. With U4 LOAD signal tied HIGH with VCC the 74LS573 is effectively a buffer already unlike U2 and U3. There is nothing actually using the latch mechanism with this design.

The only benefit I see is common parts since there are already two 74LS573 latches used on the board. In either case, the buffer is required to interface with the IDE interface because of current drive requirements and the 74LS573 is easily able to perform that role even acting as a de facto buffer.

Andrew Lynch

Andrew,

If you're making up kits, it will allow you to stock pile one less part type,
although I haven't looked, and in qty a latch might be more expensive than an '244, but who knows (and who really cares at that level).

Is that link above (always going to be) the current schematic?

Bill

Andrew,

If you're making up kits, it will allow you to stock pile one less part type,
although I haven't looked, and in qty a latch might be more expensive than an '244, but who knows (and who really cares at that level).

Is that link above (always going to be) the current schematic?

Bill

Hi Bill! Thanks! Yes, agree.

I intend to post the latest XT-IDE information at the N8VEM wiki. It is mostly for convenience sake more than anything. If you see something or would like additional information please ask.

My intent is to be fully public and provide freely available information. Any shortfalls in this is purely execution of the plan not by intent.

Andrew Lynch

PS, that is also for AT2XTKBD project. However there is so much activity on the N8VEM DiskIO and PropIO development recently I am limited in how much time I can spend on multiple projects.

hi gang!

back from vaca, and ready to run full steam ahead with this baby and get proto-2 built up and tested. Provided this new buffer/latch issue isn't changing anything, I think I will have andrew drop me all the goodies and we'll get some PCBs ordered this week. (also gingerly ignoring per's data corruption issues, sorry. I think we can find good working drives that don't exhibit any problems readily enough before we burn ourselves out debugging the last 10%)

And, while I'm here, I'll address this issue for completeness:

Hi! If all you need is a straight 2764 EPROM programmed, I can do that for you. You're plugging this into the Acculogic board so you can't program it with Per's utility, right?

Have you considered the "cut and jumper" method to hook the /MEMW line on the ISA connector to the /WriteEnable pin of the 28C64 and then use Per's utility?

If all you want is the 2764, I can send you one of those. PM me the details and I'll hook you up.

There's no WE tooth on the acculogic card, so it would have to be permanently tied to allow the eeprom to be programmed via the card. It's probably easier overall to do it that way, rather than having to pull the chip and reprogram it, but I don't think gerry wants to do any soldering.

If you guys work out a chip-n-ship solution, make sure that base address gets changed somewhere in the .bin file!!

I can see a CF-IDE adapter sticking perpendicularly out of the card if not in a slot or bay, assuming the connector on the card to be male and the connector on the adapter to be female at the end of the board. I have not been able to find a right angle connector.

I know its too late, but I would wish that the board could be extended to alow a CF-IDE adapter and bracket slot on the end of the board that faces the slot opening.

There's nothing stopping people from taking the existing layout files and adding their own goodies to it. Adding a CF adapter off the back of the card would raise the price quite a bit, especially for folks who don't want/need such a thing, so we went with something that works for everyone. I hear ya though, I think a built in CF adapter would be really handy.

gerrydoire came up with this thing:
http://www.barfs.biz/cfbackplane.jpg

which I think it brilliant. provided you've got one open slot somewhere on the machine, rigging something like that up should be cake.
I assume you're talking about installation on a Tandy machine. Are you already using all of your available expansion slots? How about the 2nd drive bay opening?

My order for XTIDE gen II will be placed TODAY. I'm ordering 25, so I can sell off a few more to other early adopters.

In ~2 weeks I'll have them in stock, build a few up and round 2 of testing begins again. I think if things go as smoothly as rev 1 did, I see no reason not to go into production within a short period of time following that. Yeah, there are some ugly drives, but there's a pile of drives that seem to work perfectly, so let's get this project wrapped up!

Anyone that tests the Rev 2 card please fill out this spreadsheet as best you can.

It helps us keep track of what drives don't work and will help iron out these small bugs, and ultimately we will be able to post this to our Wiki.

From Per in another thread:
The first bytes of the EEPROM on the XTIDE card I'm testing was replaced with the same two repeating bytes, and hence I can't use the card untill I have reflashed it.

How is the write logic set so that something like this can happen so easily?

It is similar to what I was seeing on a Rev 1 card in my 1000SX before I gave up and sent it back to hargle for a look see. The contents of the flash would change quite regularly...

I haven't re-tested since I rewired the ground to my work area. I had a disconnected ground leg that was causing some power problems.

Kelly

My order for XTIDE gen II will be placed TODAY. I'm ordering 25, so I can sell off a few more to other early adopters.

In ~2 weeks I'll have them in stock, build a few up and round 2 of testing begins again. I think if things go as smoothly as rev 1 did, I see no reason not to go into production within a short period of time following that. Yeah, there are some ugly drives, but there's a pile of drives that seem to work perfectly, so let's get this project wrapped up!

Apologies if this is already covered, but how much $$ would an early adopter need?
Is there a layaway plan? (kidding.... mostly)

Back