• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit IDE Controller

From Per in another thread:

How is the write logic set so that something like this can happen so easily?

It is similar to what I was seeing on a Rev 1 card in my 1000SX before I gave up and sent it back to hargle for a look see. The contents of the flash would change quite regularly...

I haven't re-tested since I rewired the ground to my work area. I had a disconnected ground leg that was causing some power problems.

Kelly

Hi! I wondered the same thing during early testing on with the prototype but didn't find anything really suspicious. Writes to the Flash memory require a /MEMW in its address region which should not be happening outside of Flash programming sequence. The best I could think of is some sort of spurious write mechanism that is not obvious. It may be poor grounding or bus noise confusing the Flash memory to write when it is not supposed to.

Check out the schematic to see if there is something I missed. I ended up replacing the Flash memory with the 2764 EPROM to eliminate any possibility of memory corruption during early testing. I haven't had any problems since. Some 28C64s support memory protection and the new prototypes also include a write protect jumper.

However, you should be able to reprogram a Flash memory if it has gotten corrupted. If not, there is something else wrong.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

The best I could think of is some sort of spurious write mechanism that is not obvious. It may be poor grounding or bus noise confusing the Flash memory to write when it is not supposed to.

I think grounding/noise was my issue. I also think that is why I could not program it sucessfully some times.

The ground was floating in my work area. This created all kinds of interesting experiences. On some computers, I would get a mild shock if I touched the frame.

Other machines would spontaneously power off. Lots of fun.

Kelly

I've just ordered 2 prototype cards from jameco

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=21532&

I'm hoping to go on a shopping trip to a little electronics store here in the twin cities this week, where I will hopefully be able to snag the rest of the parts.
If not, another order will be placed, but no big deal.

either way, forward progress continues...

A bit off-topic here, but...

These Jameco 21531 / JE417 PC/XT prototyping cards have provisions for some sort of connector on the bracket end. It's not the right pitch for a DB-xx.

Anybody know what it's for?

Bill

I think grounding/noise was my issue. I also think that is why I could not program it sucessfully some times.

The ground was floating in my work area. This created all kinds of interesting experiences. On some computers, I would get a mild shock if I touched the frame.

Other machines would spontaneously power off. Lots of fun.

Kelly

Where I have my equipment, the power outlets don't even have a ground connector (I know, this is stupid and should be avoided by all means). This house was buildt in the 60's, and I guess grounded power outlets was just not common then.

Do you think this may be the cause why I get those noise problems?

Just an FYI - 25 protoII boards have been ordered.

I'll likely get them in ~2 weeks, I will be placing an order for parts, as well. I might as well pick up enough parts for all 25 of them, even though there are a couple folks who think they have enough spare bits lying around. I can always use a few spares just in case I munge something up.

just to verify, the only thing that is different is that we've dropped 1 of the x8 dipswitches? All of the jumper headers I can come up with on my own, so that doesn't impact my ordering.

thanks and congrats to all!

Hi Hargle! Thanks!

I'll have to double check but I think there are some additional 10K resistors and more jumpers.

Regarding the AT2XTKBD design (off topic here, I know but still relevant) be sure to get the 5 pin DIN connectors as specified from Digikey. If you order elsewhere ensure the pin configuration lines up properly. I think there are several formats so be aware.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

>>I'll have to double check but I think there are some additional 10K resistors and more jumpers.

yeah, caught that. No sweat there either, since they come in bags of 100.
My workplace has a couple boxes of jumper and pin headers lying around, so I'm good there too. Just looking to not get caught with too many/few of the big parts.

>>Regarding the AT2XTKBD design (off topic here, I know but still relevant) be sure to get the 5 pin DIN connectors as specified from Digikey.

will do. I'm going to try and order everything from digikey this time around. Heck, I believe they are almost local to me anyway, so shipping should be pretty speedy. I may have to pay in state sales tax though.

>>
will do. I'm going to try and order everything from digikey this time around. Heck, I believe they are almost local to me anyway, so shipping should be pretty speedy. I may have to pay in state sales tax though.

Digi-Key charges me sales tax in MD, too.

Hargle - Agent Orange here.
I would like to get my hands on a sack of Rev (2) parts when you get them. I'll put it all together and document the spreadsheet. Let me know what you need up front in $$. Also, the only help I would need is for you to flash the eprom witht he lastest stuff.

Got a shipping notice that our PCBs have left the factory!

You can even track it with me:
fedEx: 410750814677

Jameco has already shipped the components, which I suspect will be in today or tomorrow.

This shipment contains our XT->AT keyboard converter PCBs as well, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Boards for sale?!!

Boards for sale?!!

Are these rev 2 boards going to be for sale? Has anyone been able to get the board to work in a tandy 1000sx? At one time I know the design was based on the Acculogic board which supposedly did work in a 1000sx according to information I have from long ago. The 1000sx has a dip switch to toggle irq2/IRQ5 for bus use (e.g. hardcard or controller card)

Greg Lentz

Are these rev 2 boards going to be for sale? Has anyone been able to get the board to work in a tandy 1000sx? At one time I know the design was based on the Acculogic board which supposedly did work in a 1000sx according to information I have from long ago. The 1000sx has a dip switch to toggle irq2/IRQ5 for bus use (e.g. hardcard or controller card)

Greg Lentz

Unofficially, they are for sale. I have (or will, in about 2 weeks), 25 PCBs and parts to build them. These are prototypes for the main production run of 100 boards, so it is possible that there may be bugs, and these boards are slightly more expensive due to the smaller quantity ordered. We are encouraging people to buy them though, entirely because we need more testing on more platforms, and if I don't lose my shirt paying for these things, then I will be more inclined to fund further geekiness.

Pricing will be determined after the stuff is all here, and I figure out shipping and handling and assembly time if you need me to build the card for you. All will be known late this month or early october.

As for the Tandy 1000sx, kb2syd has tried it, and said it doesn't work. (locked up at the boot menu prompt and the drive wasn't detected)
That said, kb2syd also had trouble getting it to work on a Tandy HX, which I was able to get working beautifully after just a couple minor BIOS tweaks, so I suspect that eventually, it will work just fine on the SX, which can't be that far off from the HX line. I just may need to buy/borrow an SX to play with for a week or two.

This board is not modeled after the acculogic directly; we used an open source schematic and augmented it. It just so happens to be compatible software-wise with that card though, which was by pure chance. (there's only so many ways to do IDE on an 8bit bus, so it's not surprising)

Neither our card, nor the acculogic card use any IRQs, so it doesn't matter at this time.

... and if I don't lose my shirt paying for these things ...

I can send you some shirts :D

Great to hear we are progressing every onwards.

So to avoid a rush how did you anticipate distributing the 25 boards? In my opinion they should only go to people that are prepared to test then and send feedback (ie the spreed sheet of drives I setup). Any thoughts?

So to avoid a rush how did you anticipate distributing the 25 boards? In my opinion they should only go to people that are prepared to test then and send feedback (ie the spreed sheet of drives I setup). Any thoughts?

good idea. of course we can't hold anyone to anything, but i think anyone who has been following along on this journey for the past year and slogging through all 100+ pages of messages also deserves to get first crack at them! :)

I won't be announcing that boards are for sale outside this thread for starters; I think folks who are here with us likely know the risks involved and hopefully are buying one of these cards to a) help out with the r+d costs and b) think it's cool enough that they will likely want to lend a hand with as much testing as they can possibly do.

Unofficially, they are for sale. I have (or will, in about 2 weeks), 25 PCBs and parts to build them. These are prototypes for the main production run of 100 boards, so it is possible that there may be bugs, and these boards are slightly more expensive due to the smaller quantity ordered. We are encouraging people to buy them though, entirely because we need more testing on more platforms, and if I don't lose my shirt paying for these things, then I will be more inclined to fund further geekiness.

Pricing will be determined after the stuff is all here, and I figure out shipping and handling and assembly time if you need me to build the card for you. All will be known late this month or early october.

As for the Tandy 1000sx, kb2syd has tried it, and said it doesn't work. (locked up at the boot menu prompt and the drive wasn't detected)
That said, kb2syd also had trouble getting it to work on a Tandy HX, which I was able to get working beautifully after just a couple minor BIOS tweaks, so I suspect that eventually, it will work just fine on the SX, which can't be that far off from the HX line. I just may need to buy/borrow an SX to play with for a week or two.

This board is not modeled after the acculogic directly; we used an open source schematic and augmented it. It just so happens to be compatible software-wise with that card though, which was by pure chance. (there's only so many ways to do IDE on an 8bit bus, so it's not surprising)

Neither our card, nor the acculogic card use any IRQs, so it doesn't matter at this time.

I have a spare 1000SX that I got from some university down in Texas. I have not even unpacked it yet and I had it for 2 years. It would take me a little while to see what shape it's in, but you would be welcome to it if you think you could use it.

I have a spare 1000SX that I got from some university down in Texas. I have not even unpacked it yet and I had it for 2 years. It would take me a little while to see what shape it's in, but you would be welcome to it if you think you could use it.

sounds great, and you're not that far away from me either.
Since it's already been tested and found to not work, there's no time like the present to get started. PM on the way. thanks!

sounds great, and you're not that far away from me either.
Since it's already been tested and found to not work, there's no time like the present to get started. PM on the way. thanks!

The 1000SX is bare bones. "A" & "B" floppies, keyboard, and power cord. I'm assuming you have a CGA monitor. If not, I can pop for an Boca EGA or some garden variety/vanilla VGA card. I unpacked the thing this afternoon and was suprised to find a gutted chassis was also in the box. Let me take a good look at both mobo's and see what the DRAM status is. Out-of-the-box, Tandy only gave you 320 KB. If that's the case, maybe I can scrounge the other 320 KB of the parts chassis.

Back