• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8 bit ISA VGA card and SCSI HDD

Ozfer

Experienced Member
Hey as the title states I am looking for a 8 bit isa VGA video card for my IBM 5150 and also I am looking for a SCSI hdd that is 50 pin and 1-2GB or around that size. Thanks

lol yea pretty much. I'm not really sure what qualifies at 5150 compatibility all I know is its 8 bit isa.

I found this cool list of 8 bit compatible cards that is helping me find the right model for my system.
Although they support 8-bit operation, maybe only a third (wild guess) of them will work in a 5150. But which third?

And you have to be careful:

* Vendor statements such as "486, 386, 286 and PC compatibles" are not specific. In that example, does PC mean 5150, or does it mean Personal Computer family?

* You may find threads where person X has written that they have a YYYYY card working in their 5150, but others reporting that their same card does not work in a 5150 (a 5150 with third BIOS). The Trident 9000 series cards are an example.

* Just because a card works in a 5160 (XT) does not mean that it will work in a 5150. I think that is rare, but it has been seen.

OMG this is getting harder and harder. Does anyone specifically know ones that DO work?

Thanks for the help,
oz

I'm surprised that somene hasn't made you an offer.

Does anyone specifically know ones that DO work?
* The 'Video Seven VGA 1024i' manual ([here]) contains text such as, "Computer 100% compatible with IBM PC/XT/AT" and "If you have an IBM PC or PC/XT ..."
* The 'Video Seven VEGA VGA' card of mine pictured [here] works in a 5150.

Is it just a matter of which bioses use 286 instructions?
Then couldn't you in theory dump the vga bios and check or are there other compatibility issues?

That's the strange thing. Some models of the same card word in the 5150, some don't. Some models work in 5160 while not in the 5150. Its hard to tell what ones work.

Its perfectly fine if its under 500 MB actually I was looking for a smaller one for my 5150 and a larger 1-2GB one for my mac.

Back