• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8" disks

rscottdrysdale

anyone got a machine with 8" drives that can read 8" double-sided CP/M-format disks?

i might be getting the source code for InfoSoft I/OS (a CP/M compatible OS) for use in the N8EVM project. i'll need someone to pull the files off these disks and zip them for me.

i'm located in germantown, md, and it would be ideal if i could find someone nearby.

I'm in Wantage NJ and have the required equipment to read 8" soft sectored disks.

Before volunteering, you should ask what format the disk are. If they
are the typical FM then you are most likely able to read them.
I doubt your setup for M2FM or any of the hard sectored formats.
Dwight

8" disk format

8" disk format

i'm certain they're not hard sectored. they're definitely double sided, but i'm not sure if they're old-school FM or something fancier. 77 tracks, 26 sectors, but could have been 128 or 256 bytes/sector. won't know til the guy finds them.

i can't remember what kind of disk controller was in the humungous 4-user Golden West machine we ran the multi-user version of I/OS on. but i do remember the drives had a software-controlled eject and you could use it to toss disks at unsuspecting passers-by :) the machine was almost as big as the printronix line printer sitting next to it.

I'm in Wantage NJ and have the required equipment to read 8" soft sectored disks.

OK, make that MOST 8" soft sectored. I have not run into one _YET_ that I couldn't read with one hardware combination or another.

I have a PC set up that can read and write FM and MFM. I also have a couple of catweasel controllers that handle a lot of varied formats, but it some times requires a bit of programming.

I'm not asking for $$ for doing this either. All you'd have to do is stop by and we'll see if we can do it one weekend or evening.

Kelly

Too soft...in the early 90's, we were whipping around the 10b2 coaxial ethernet terminators! You remember those....the (mostly) green-tipped deals?

Then again, the T-connectors filled in nicely when out of ammo, though they hurt a bit more :)

T

I used to hurl empty beer cans at police cars, till I figgered out that full ones sail a lot further & straighter...shame to waste good beer tho.

--T

Oh, yes, fine idea. Let's throw garbage at people with guns and see if they get out and grab the good stuff in the trunk.

I imagine emptying the cans is what gave you such a great idea LMAO

Back