• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8-ish Fully-Operational IBM PCs/XTs plus Peripherals, Parts, Drives

STorrence

I recently came across a local collector who is moving soon and needed to get rid of a large collection of PCs he had in his outdoor shed. When I got the systems most of them were filled with Lubbock dust and I wasn't sure if they would function after so many years. However, my roommates and I have spent the last couple of weeks cleaning them thoroughly inside and out, and miraculously they all seem to work!

Here's a low-res photo of most of the collection. I'm working on higher-res photos currently as I do a more thorough inventory.

4356029871_663dfe8a09_o.jpg

And here's a shot of a completely assembled PC 5150. This is in addition to the systems above.

4356775490_2f1fa84719_o.jpg

Very roughly, here's what I've got (italics indicate sold items):

3 IBM CGA Monitors (5153) [1 sold, 1 fully functional, 1 with slightly misaligned tubes making a fuzzy picture]
1 IBM MDA Monitor (5151) [NOT working currently, doesn't power on or show any signs of life]
4 IBM PC 5150s with stock configuration (Tandon floppy drives I believe)
1 IBM PC 3170 with 101-key Model F terminal keyboard (missing connector dongle)
1 IBM XT 5160 with many expansion cards
1 CompuAdd XT clone
2 IBM 83-key Model F keyboards (1 sold)
About 8 Assorted 20MB Hard Disk Drives, 3 working, 1 sold
Assorted controller cards, cables, 340k floppy drives (mostly FH)

All of these components are confirmed working unless otherwise noted. I have booted up almost all the systems using an original IBM DOS 2.1 floppy that I have (oh yeah I've got a whole box of IBM software and manuals too - sold). I have cleaned all the components inside and out as thoroughly as possible (yes, even the keyboards, disassembled and cleaned key by key). I'm wary of disassembling the drives though since they seem to work fine even with a little dust inside.

I'm looking to sell pretty much everything here (or trade it for mid-90's Macintosh hardware if you've got it). Tell me what you're interested in and I'll make you an offer. I can also test specific parts/systems/boards or look for something specific if you give me a good description. I'm willing to shuffle parts and cases around to build whatever you're looking for too. Some of the cases have the badge, some don't, for instance.

I'm waiting on some adapters that will let me put a 3.5" drive in the XT so I can load the tool needed to do a LLF on the HDDs. I would suggest holding off on requests for those until I can test them.

I'm shipping from Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Talk to me, folks! What interests you?

Last edited:
Nice haul.

You should do a search on "LLF" (or check out the Vintage Computing Wiki).
All you need is a 5 1/4" disk with the right stuff on it.
YZZERDD (sp?) is in Lubbock (or is it Lewisville) ? He could probably set you up with the correct disk.

Nice haul.

You should do a search on "LLF" (or check out the Vintage Computing Wiki).
All you need is a 5 1/4" disk with the right stuff on it.
YZZERDD (sp?) is in Lubbock (or is it Lewisville) ? He could probably set you up with the correct disk.

Yeah, I read your thread on it (fantastic resource). If I could find someone in the area with the Advanced Diagnostics disk, that'd be great.

I see a 122-key IBM terminal keyboard in the first photo. That is not and should not be mistaken for a PC keyboard...plug isn't the same, signals are marginally AT compatible (thus no good on any of these computers).

Nice haul for sure...I'd want an XT but you're too far, shipping would cost a fortune.

122-key keyboard...PM me for advice regarding selling it.

I see a 122-key IBM terminal keyboard in the first photo. That is not and should not be mistaken for a PC keyboard...plug isn't the same, signals are marginally AT compatible (thus no good on any of these computers)

I noticed the difference. The 3170 has a card in it that features a graphic of a dongle of some sort that appears to have a keyboard connector, so I'm assuming there was a dongle that enabled the 101-key Model F terminal keyboard to connect to it. However, I've yet to find that dongle in amongst all the parts. There are 3 regular Model F keyboards, 2 in the first pic and 1 in the second.

Oh, PM sent.

Last edited:
I noticed the difference. The 3170 has a card in it that features a graphic of a dongle of some sort that appears to have a keyboard connector, so I'm assuming there was a dongle that enabled the 101-key Model F terminal keyboard to connect to it. However, I've yet to find that dongle in amongst all the parts. There are 3 regular Model F keyboards, 2 in the first pic and 1 in the second.

Oh, PM sent.

Here's the official IBM circuit diagram for the dongle.

And my prettier version.

If you're interested in selling just the board that the dongle plugs into, let me know. I have a complete computer with the special video card and the keyboard, but am missing the special board that allows the keyboard dongle to connect.

If you're interested in selling just the board that the dongle plugs into, let me know. I have a complete computer with the special video card and the keyboard, but am missing the special board that allows the keyboard dongle to connect.

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but ideally I'd like to keep complete systems together. PM sent.

Fabulous lot you've got there. I am actually in Lewisville, not Lubbock. While they would be close together in a world of alphabetically organized states, in our world, I'm on the complete opposite side of Texas.

--Ryan

That's not too far away, actually. Maybe 5-6 hours by car. I'm actually coming to the Dallas area in a month or so to visit some friends. Anything from this haul you're interested in, Ryan?

Hmm...

Well of course I am very tempted. But, not only am I planning a move this summer(and have only 1 trip in a 78 Thunderbird to haul it all 1200 miles), but I'm geared more to the late 80s early 90s Macintosh stuff right now. I'm pretty happy with the IBM 5150, 4 IBM CGA monitors, and 2 MDA monitors I currently have :). Never mind the 5155 portable and PS/2 80.

But thankyou anyhow. As for the disk, you just need the IBM Advanced diagnostics disk? *shuffles around manuals* Well, I sure enough have one. I could test it and make a copy or two if you'd like. I also have the regular diagnostics disk. What sort of manuals and such did you get in the lot? That'd be my main interest right there.

--Ryan

As for the disk, you just need the IBM Advanced diagnostics disk? *shuffles around manuals* Well, I sure enough have one. I could test it and make a copy or two if you'd like. I also have the regular diagnostics disk. What sort of manuals and such did you get in the lot? That'd be my main interest right there.

--Ryan

Actually, Lorne has already mailed me a copy of the Advanced Diagnostics disk, so that won't be necessary. Thanks, though! As far as software manuals, I've got a few Basic 3.0 manuals, a few IBM DOS 2.1 packages (disk and manual), and a complete IBM Professional Editor package with manual and disk. I'll be posting a more complete inventory sometime soon hopefully. Any manual in particular you'd like me to look for?

You um.. can totally take Austin to get to Dallas .. then uh, we'd be right around the corner? ;-) Actually I'll PM ya. Good job on the save. That system looks CLEAN!

Hmm. Well, the only stuff I'd be interested in would be things like IBM Technical Reference manuals, as well as other IBM programs. Not currently looking for any DOS versions, Write Assistant, BASIC, etc. I've got several copies of all.

Thanks,

--Ryan

I thought that I'd let everyone know that I received a very nice and fully functional 5150 from ST. It had been cleaned thoroughly and tested. I am overjoyed to say that I am finally now able to play all of my favorite "PC Booter" games and WITH a joystick! ST is a very nice guy and a real pleasure to deal with. Very professional.
Here are a few pics of my new acquisition: (As you can see it is much cleaner than the monitor and keyboard I've had from previous finds.)

5150p1.jpg

5150p4.jpg

5150p3.jpg

5150p2.jpg

5150p5.jpg

There are multiple items still available. I've updated the original post and italicized the sold items. I'm currently in PM discussion over a couple of the remaining pieces, however.

Back