• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

80-pin DRAM SIMMs

Raven

Veteran Member
I've got a Tricord server from the early 90s, big crazy machine, want to get it operational, but it has no RAM. It unfortunately uses SIMMs that are a tad wider than 72-pin, so I'm pretty sure it's 80-pin. Need some - anybody have any around?

The only thing I can find around that doesn't claim to be a "flash SIMM" (and thus probably quite unsuitable) are these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/128Kx32-A29...ultDomain_0&hash=item5636f49282#ht_1125wt_883

I might buy one of these and see if nobody has a better idea.

I am curious are you sure they are 80 pin i have loads of memory that are modules like a pc66 or pc100 sdram but the nothches are moved slightly do they wil not fit a pc100 socket but are a pin width slot difference the memory is dram with parity they come from compaq servers

Not sure if this helps, but the memory in the Toshiba T5200 (at least the /100 model) uses 80 pin DIMMs also. They are the same layout as the picture above with the parity chip(s) in the middle of the board. Not sure if compatible, but each 'DIMM' is 2MB and they need to be in pairs (like having 4 x 1 MB SIMMs I guess).

Just might be another source if you find a dead T5200 or similar for cheap.

Huh, I think I saw some simms longer than 72pin ones at HSC electronics in sunnyvale (I was looking for 72pin edo), I'll check them out next time I go by.

Pic of Tricord SIMM 88 for what it's worth, hard to locate any good info.
http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=IMG_9864.jpg&sort=ascending

Edit: A closer look at the pic and I count 80-pins, good luck in your search.

I hadn't looked at the thread after a few days, so I didn't see the message. >.>

I did now, and you uncovered some good stuff with that picture!

Tracked that guy down and emailed him - hopefully still his active email address. Thanks for finding that, I didn't through my searching. Also surfaced that it may be 88-pin, so that helps. Hopefully he doesn't need the SIMM for anything and will sell/give it to me - the chances of locating one was insane. xD

Thanks for finding it!

Not sure if this helps, but the memory in the Toshiba T5200 (at least the /100 model) uses 80 pin DIMMs also. They are the same layout as the picture above with the parity chip(s) in the middle of the board. Not sure if compatible, but each 'DIMM' is 2MB and they need to be in pairs (like having 4 x 1 MB SIMMs I guess).

Just might be another source if you find a dead T5200 or similar for cheap.

Don't suppose you have any of those that you don't need? :D

Quite interesting, since I'm a big fan of that era of Toshiba laptops. I used to own several T4400 series (black and white and color, my first laptop ever was a T4400C in like 2000, hah), and I own a T6600C still now (amazing machine, crappy WSS sound that I custom wired a SB16 to replace ;3). Anyway, the interesting part is that T4400 and T6600 machines use a PCMCIA-looking memory card and have 1-2 slots for these, as well as some onboard RAM (built into mobo). It's odd that the series between the two would use different memory.

Last edited:
Hi,

I might have some around, need to check. Will get back you by end of week.

Bobby

I've got a Tricord server from the early 90s, big crazy machine, want to get it operational, but it has no RAM. It unfortunately uses SIMMs that are a tad wider than 72-pin, so I'm pretty sure it's 80-pin. Need some - anybody have any around?

The only thing I can find around that doesn't claim to be a "flash SIMM" (and thus probably quite unsuitable) are these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/128Kx32-A29...ultDomain_0&hash=item5636f49282#ht_1125wt_883

I might buy one of these and see if nobody has a better idea.

If you get a picture of what they look like I could search my scrap RAM and see if I have any.

Back