• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8008 emulator/disassembler

mwillegal

Experienced Member
Here is a link, http://www.willegal.net/scelbi/8008-disassembler.c, to the “C” language source for my 8008 debugger/disassembler. Though it has been a while since the code diverged, the core 8008 instruction emulator is essentially the same as used in my Macintosh OS/X app. Some of the output could be cleaned up a bit and I want to add an emulated SCELBI cassette interface, but I think it has been pretty useful in creating and debugging 8008 software.

It takes 1 or 2 arguments, an Intel HEX file with the program to debug and an optional starting address (in decimal).

Here is a list of commands.

b – set break point
d – dump memory
r – run – note that unless you have a break point set, or the program encounters a halt instruction, there is no way to halt the program
s – step
n – next – steps over calls
h – display numeric values in hexidecimal (except for disassembly)
o – display values in octal
u – disassemble range of memory – use more readable format
a – disassemble range of memory – use format compatible with AS8 assembler
x – exit to shell

Thanks to Cameron Cooper helped me with the initial conversion of the step display to include instruction nmumonics.

Things to do – add support for emulated SCELBI cassette interface.

regards,
Mike Willegal

I just wanted to chime in here, thanks Mike.

Mike sent me a copy of this a few months back. It has been a really great emulation tool. I've used it to debug several programs that I wrote to test my Mark 8. It's saved a lot of sore thumbs to have a a working program before I toggle it into memory.

Len

Back