• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

80486 motherboard

Vlad

It doesn't seem to want to state who made it or give an FCC ID so its a mystery for now.

Has the standard 486 socket with another that says upgrade next to it. 4 SIMM slots that are currently populated with an unknown amount of RAM. I can send higher capacity RAM as well. I can't seem to find an RTC battery so I assume its a jumper one.

Has 2 onboard IDE channels and a floppy one too. 6x 16-bit ISA slots and 2x VLB slots. Also a socket for a cache card but I don't have one. Very clean with everything clearly labeled on the PCB itself. Has headers for COM and LPT ports. Only port it does have is a 5-pin DIN keyboard port. Phoneix BIOS.

Free to good home, just pay shipping.

Just reloaded new batteries to take a pic of something for someone else, I'll post some in a moment.

-Vlad

Yep, it does indeed seem to be a Micronics motherboard although I can't seem to find any information on it beyond whats obvious from looking at it. Searching its apparent model number 01-00144-01 (Rev. A2) just turns up 2 unhelpful sites.

Thanks for identifying it!

Its in th99 as a Micronics Non-ZIF socket system board (32128.htm). It takes SX or DX/2 up to 66 mhz plus pentium overdrive, 64MB Max RAM.

Unknown_K said:
64MB Max RAM.

Holy crap, I didn't know SIMM based boards could go that high. Thanks for all the help guys!

Still for sale too XD

EDIT: I know I have a 486 SX I can pair with it, also I MIGHT be able to find a DX if I look hard enough. There used to be an Intel Overdrive around somewhere but I haven't seen it in ages.

Last edited:
You can get 72 PIN SIMMs that are 128MB in size, most machines can deal with up to 32MB and that motherboard is stuck with 16MB (4 pcs to get 64MB).

The socket missing the one pin in the corner is for the SX 486 chip, the one with the pin is for the SX overdrive (that pin shuts down the SX chip and takes over). I have a couple 486/100 Intel overdrives that would fit that 2nd socket.

Chuckle, indeed it's a small world after all (I hate that song). My very first Gateway 386-25 motherboard upgrade was extremely close to that one. I think I got the ZIF version. As expected, when I managed to get enough money to buy a Slot1 PIII card, the poor 486/DX2 50V went off to motherboard heaven. I thought about maybe getting that one or another one but then I remember all the hell I went through with VLB video cards. They all worked great but I was constantly having to adjust the pic size and other stuff as I jumped from one rez to another. Getting "the 7th ghost" to play without stopping and starting was bad memories I have thankfully forgotten.

I gotta say it's been really interesting learning stuff about it. I would be half tempted to keep it but I already have a complete machine in 8088 and up. (Think I'm missing a 286 but meh)

I was almost tempted to snag it but I have too many 486 VLB as it is. My current problem is I have a micronics 486 ISA ASICs board thats pretty large. I found out I can run the 33mhz 486 at 25mhz so I can use a 25mhz Weitek NPU I got, but the board doesn't fit in any of my cases.

It would have to be a very special case (like maybe having an amiga 4000 in it). :)

If you feel lucky wrap a case in newspaper and mail it media mail ;)

Oddly enough somebody did send me a Mac IIfx media mail once (I thaught his shipping quote was a bit too cheap even for USPS).

I think I need a full size AT tower server case, kind of like the one I threw out over 5 years ago thinking I would never need it again :( The Board goes on for another 6 inches after the keyboard connector.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MICRONICS-COMPUTERS-INC-486-80486-ASIC-ISA.html

I was tempted for several seconds then I remembered how much hell that motherboard was. Not really the motherboard's fault, I can see why VLB disappeared.

Back